Let's Talk Tomatoes

WeGotTheBeetJanuary 25, 2013

I've been on parental leave with the birth of our first child (woohoo!) and have been able to spend some time planning this year's garden. What kind of tomatoes will you plant this year? What experiences have you had with different varieties?

Last year I grew brandywines and green zebras, along with one Roma plant I got as a leftover seedling from a friend. The zebras did almost nothing, but the brandywines and Romas were pretty decent.

This year I've pledged to do more and better. I've picked up some heirloom seeds of German strawberry and rieslingtraube (grape) tomatoes. Anyone have experience growing these in Oregon? What else should I try? I'll be trying the zebras again in a sunnier spot.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
larry_gene

With the explosion of tomato varieties in the past ten years, perhaps "tomato fatigue" has set in as a topic of discussion among general gardeners who do not specialize in that plant.

Unless there are dozens of responders, there is usually little overlap in varieties grown in a small gardening group because of the myriad choices available.

Territorial Seed in the southern W. valley trial-grow many of the seeds they offer and those would be a good choice for you. Good luck with your tomatoes this year, we are due for a reasonable spring season.

Romas have been reliable here in Portland the past five years.

Bookmark   January 27, 2013 at 11:08PM
hemnancy(z8 PNW)

I already responded to a similar thread, below. You may have more heat so can grow some things that take longer growing seasons. My favorites have been in the heart, plum, and determinate areas after too many cool summers in a row.

Nancy

Here is a link that might be useful: other tomato thread

Bookmark   January 29, 2013 at 5:41PM
larry_gene

Coincidently, a "Green Zebra" grocery store is opening up in my neighborhood, and it has been named after the tomato.

Bookmark   January 31, 2013 at 11:41PM
More Discussions
Re:Anyone growing citrus in PNW
Hi everyone, I have an indoor tangerine plant for 4-5...
sweetflowers
What seeds r u planting now this early warm spring?
My arugula is up fine but carrots havent germinated...
maroqw
richard walden grape
Does any one know of a source for Richard Walden grape...
robert_2007
Compost Bin Advice
After researching the costs of materials and help to...
anise_hyssop
Aspirin and fig rust
Recently, I visited my brother in Thailand and he has...
winsorw
Sponsored Products
Modern Wood Tripod Floor Lamp Artistic Brown Fabric Shade
ParrotUncle
32 x 32 Stone shower Pan in Gray Granite for Bathroom - CORAL
Living'ROC
Royal Fancy Historical Gold Wood Curtain Rod Set
Overstock.com
Transportation Step Stool
Classic Hostess
Motorcycle Pendant Light -Silver
$226.10 | Bellacor