morning sun vs. evening sun

upnort(4)August 13, 2008

Ive never seen anything written about evening sun and hostas and yet I would think there would be a difference, even if slightly. Since I had a very large tree fall part of my hostas now get about 3 hours of morning sun and 3 of late afternoon/evening. So far so good, but Im wondering if and how much of a difference there is. Anyone know?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

avoid the HOT sun of the day ... the hosta sweat too much otherwise.. give off more water than they can replace.. leading to burn .. or decline ...

i am NOT talking about 2 hours.. i am talking all sun from say noon to 6 .. and shade on either side of that window ... that would be bad sun ...

NEVER FORGET .... hosta are shade tolerant.. not full shade plants ....

down a page or two.. you ought to find a discussion of such ....

ken

Bookmark   August 13, 2008 at 11:50AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
GardenBlondeNeedHelp

I'm a newbie gardener(I prefer the eating as to the growing), so I'm a little lost. With my veggie garden I wanted to do a type of tallest-to-shortest arrangement with my plants. But I don't know if I should arrange the plants so most get morning sun or evening sun. (The tallest would shade some of the shortest one way or the other)

Oh, and I got corn, tomatoes, cantaloupe, cucumber, squash, cilantro, basil, various pepper plants and strawberry; and live in Sacramento if that helps...

Any ideas? Suggestions? Greatly appreciate it :)

Bookmark   May 20, 2011 at 6:59PM
More Discussions
Anyone wanna do Leaf shots? Hosta 'Dream Queen'
Who needs slo-poke 'Thunderbolt'? fwiw, hh
hostahillbilly
NH hostas here
Doesn't look like much but in a month it will. Excited...
ilovetogrow z9 Jax Florida
Here we go again !
I seem to recall that about this time last year I posted...
tiddisolo z8 Wales UK
Hosta Ruffled 2014
The kiss of the sun for pardon, The song of the birds...
ilovetogrow z9 Jax Florida
Not sure this has been posted in awhile Papou's Gardens
He was gone before I joined the site, but he had some...
leafwatcher
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™