difference between grass and sedge?

steelskies(5)December 7, 2011

Can someone explain the differences - what makes a grass and grass, and a sedge a sedge? Thanks in advance.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ncrescue

Grasses have joints; sedges have edges. (There is a rhyme to support this!) There are other differences, but to the naked eye, the grass flowers have the herringbone pattern that looks like wheat, while the sedge, officially Carex, has only one bract and often separate male and female flowers. I usually notice the joints on the grasses first.

The Carex genera have been increasingly popular in landscaping lately. I love C. plantaginea and C. platyphylla. The first one is normally found in moist areas, but it has done well for me in dry shade for several years, even in drought. Try it!

Bookmark   December 7, 2011 at 10:00PM
dandy_line(3B (Brainerd, Mn))

My entire 1 & 1/2 acre 'lawn' is wild and mostly Carex pennsylvanica. It looks like grass, but only grows 8" tall and never needs to be mowed. What a good deal.

Bookmark   December 8, 2011 at 8:59PM
ncrescue

I love C. pennsylvanica...also the Cherokee one. I can get them "going" in clumps in containers or a few spots in the ground, but apparently it is too hot here to have a large expanse such as you have...and we have in the NC mts.

Your "lawn" sounds wonderful!

Bookmark   December 9, 2011 at 8:58AM
wantonamara Z8 CenTex

I have Cedar sedge growing wild under my cedar trees. It is hot and dry here. Carex planostachys. It grows where it wants to grow, not where you want it to grow. I have a difficult time moving it around. the roots are very touchy.

Bookmark   December 9, 2011 at 11:29PM
ncrescue

Had to look that one up. Nice. If I ever get out to TX again, I will watch for it.

Bookmark   December 10, 2011 at 8:38AM
More Discussions
ID needed - tall, yellow button flowers
These are currently in bloom, wondering what it is?...
SnailLover
Recommendations for native conifers
Which native conifers would you recommend planting...
tomp123
Looking for Alternative for Russian Sage
Over the weekend, I was out of the state and seen some...
lovefornature
Avoiding Spreading Invasive Beetles
I was trying to find sassafras, which it turns out...
edlincoln
Tips on growing ferns from spores? Have prothallia!
This year I decided I'd try my hand at growing ferns...
candogal
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™