Wisteria Buds Breaking?

whitegarden(Z5 MA)April 22, 2014

Am concerned that the buds on my wisteria are not breaking yet. Are yours?

Actually, my climbing rose buds haven't broken yet either. Things are so weird this year. Bulbs are shooting but everything else seems really lethargic. Some more rain would be welcomed and might help too,

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
claireplymouth z6b coastal MA

Nothing much happening on my wisteria either, although the roses are starting up. It's still early daffodil time here and we're off to a slow start this season (which is usual for the southeast coast). Forsythia are starting to bloom.

They're talking about some rain tonight.

Claire

Bookmark   April 22, 2014 at 10:36AM
whitegarden(Z5 MA)

Thanks for responding Claire. That's good news...

Bookmark   April 22, 2014 at 4:09PM
mjc_molie(z6 CT)

No bud break here along the CT coastline for my wisteria. Everything in the garden is happening slowly this year.

Molie

Bookmark   April 22, 2014 at 6:19PM
gerims

This has been a strange Spring. The days are warm enough to expect shrubs and perennials to be breaking dormancy, but very few are. I just made my garden tour "inspection" this afternoon and found tiny leaves swelling on my roses, lilacs, and hydrangeas, but the fruit trees are still sleeping. Half my newly planted rhododendrons and Blue Prince Holly look as if they didn't survive the winter, but my wisteria does have some swollen buds. Two of my six peonies have tiny red shoots piercing through the surface. The poison ivy, on the other hand, is bursting through the soil. April is indeed the cruelest month!

Bookmark   April 22, 2014 at 9:27PM
gerims

This has been a strange Spring. The days are warm enough to expect shrubs and perennials to be breaking dormancy, but very few are. I just made my garden tour "inspection" this afternoon and found tiny leaves swelling on my roses, lilacs, and hydrangeas, but the fruit trees are still sleeping. Half my newly planted rhododendrons and Blue Prince Holly look as if they didn't survive the winter, but my wisteria does have some swollen buds. Two of my six peonies have tiny red shoots piercing through the surface. The poison ivy, on the other hand, is bursting through the soil. April is indeed the cruelest month!

Bookmark   April 22, 2014 at 9:29PM
whitegarden(Z5 MA)

I agree, it is very strange. I have a client who told me that her "entire garden is dead." I went over to take a look and, although several small boxwoods did expire, several others are just unsightly and the rest of the garden is fine, just "slow to show."

I think today's weather will help speed things along. I am very relieved to see rain.

Bookmark   April 23, 2014 at 9:23AM
mjc_molie(z6 CT)

True, whitegarden, rain will help things along. It's been very dry as well as cooler. Last year at this time, we planted a flowering peony and other perennials in bloom that we bought in a CT gardening center. So things are about 2 weeks behind according to my records.

Here's the peony .... on April 22, 2013. The thing that struck me about this photo is that it shows the corner of our deck. The two pots we usually put there are already set in place and filled with soil... ready for planting.

Bookmark   April 23, 2014 at 10:20AM
chardie

None on mine yet. My roses have started leafing out; the fairies are fully leafed out. Daffs are all out now, as well as the forsythia this week.

Think I lost two transplants--Invincibelle Spirit and a deutzia. I don't care about the IS, though. I heard someone describe its color as "nylon stockings" and since then I can't stand it! It was a gift from a friend.

Bookmark   April 24, 2014 at 2:48PM
whitegarden(Z5 MA)

LOL chardie! Of course, now I have to do a Google search to see photos.

Still nothing on mine either :(

Bookmark   April 24, 2014 at 7:59PM
chardie

Correction: I checked last nite when I got home from work and saw a bud breaking out!

Bookmark   April 25, 2014 at 10:01AM
mjc_molie(z6 CT)

Just checked. My 'Blue Moon' leaf buds are staring to open.Flowers will come out later.

Bookmark   April 26, 2014 at 5:03PM

I stood under my wisteria today and smelled a very slight whiff of wisteria fragrance, so I went looking for the perp. This is the only flower bud opening that I found, although I didn't peruse the whole thing.

I'll have to watch to make sure the squirrels don't get up there and eat the buds.

Claire

Bookmark   April 28, 2014 at 12:24PM
whitegarden(Z5 MA)

Finally, my new wisteria buds began to break this weekend. What a relief!

I know it is too early for flowers, but I am still looking forward to the greenery filling in my trellis.

Bookmark   May 6, 2014 at 9:18AM
More Discussions
Birds and other mobile features in the garden 2015 #4
This thread is intended to give people a place to post...
Tropical Houseplants in CT
Besides Logee's, are there any other nurseries that...
javaandjazz
No spray cherry, apple, and pear tree recommendations?
I have larger area of my yard, where at some point...
agurkas
Show us your gardens - a photo thread - March 2015
Welcome to the New England Gardening "Show Us...
NHBabs
unheated greenhouse
Hi All!!! I live in Central Mass., my wonderful kids...
Sami56
Sponsored Products
City Scene Raindance Wisteria Cotton 3-piece Duvet Cover Set
Overstock.com
Dura-Trel Elmwood 6.25-ft. Vinyl Wall Trellis - 11190
$52.00 | Hayneedle
Janek Gray 18 x 18 Geometric Throw Pillow
$57.95 | Bellacor
Leucos | Bisquit T Table Lamp
$997.20 | YLighting
Aiden Coffee Table
Cost Plus World Market