Arisema germination

ncrescueDecember 30, 2007

Well, this fall I was too busy to clean the Jack seeds that I collected in late summer but "lost" in the house until right before leaving for a major trip in October. I just shoved them all into holes I poked into the soil of a large pot. Imagine my surprise last week when I saw that about 10 had already germinated, with a large leaf and all! In past years uncleaned seeds usually took a second season. Anyone have any comments? Not cleaning really saves a great deal of time.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
davidl_ny5

I'm surprised you were so lucky. Clearly they will germinate at some point without hand cleaning, since when they fall on the ground, just the winter weathering takes care of them. But I always thought germination was better with cleaning, particularly if you wanted quick germinaton.

Bookmark   March 31, 2008 at 5:32PM
ncrescue

Well, I have about 30 plants that have been up since January, so I guess in the future I will not clean again. Wish I could find a shortcut for trilliums. I am finally seeing babies out there, in fact, hundreds of them, and this after last summer's drought. Maybe they really don't like much water??? Who knows? Mother Nature can be strange. In fact, that is what makes natives so interesting.

Bookmark   March 31, 2008 at 7:33PM
lycopus(z5 NY)

In my seed sowing experiments I have found Trillium and Maianthemum to be quite durable when planted in situ. They just take two growing seasons before they send up a shoot. I got germination and survival rates of 60% for false solomon's seal, 40% for Trillium erectum, and 55% for jack in the pulpit at the end of the first full season, although I used cleaned seed.

Bookmark   March 31, 2008 at 9:40PM
More Discussions
What to plant this time of year
Here, in south Tn it is cold damp, freezing aat night,...
Tinbucket
Tips on growing ferns from spores? Have prothallia!
This year I decided I'd try my hand at growing ferns...
candogal
Recommendations for native conifers
Which native conifers would you recommend planting...
tomp123
Arum italicum - how to eradicate
I've just learned how invasive this plant can be. I'm...
shelley_r
Indian story or legend about Sassafras leaves
This is a little out of the ordinary, but I am looking...
Wildflowergma
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™