WANTED: soil testing and double digging

lanabonana(6)January 18, 2007

wondering if anyone in within the city limits of Louisville can tell me what are generally the types of soil here. also is there somewhere to get soil tested? what are some of the typical conditioners added to the soil here?

does anyone have any experience with the double dig method?

when do local nurseries begin stocking bare root stock? and finally when does one plant peonys?

appreciate any and all responses...thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kydaylilylady(z6 KY)

You can take your soil tests to the local county extension agent. I'm not but I think the office is somewhere downtown. Check the phone book. The soil conservation office can probably tell you what types of soil you have. Valley Station soil is probably different from Jeffersontown or Saint Matthews. I suspect it's a much wetter soil anyway.

The mart stores will start stocking bare root plants around the middle of Feb. Just a tad early to my thinking but you can either pot them up or hold them a while longer in the crisper of your fridge. I start shipping bareroot daylilies usually sometime in April.

Peonies transplanted bare root is usually done in the fall after the foliage gets yucky looking . September or October. Usually spring planted peonies are those in pots. Most garden centers and mart stores carry them in the spring.

Janet

Bookmark   January 30, 2007 at 9:40AM
More Discussions
WANTED: Amaranth seeds
I would like to get some of these seeds, apparently...
hank2230
WANTED: unique looking branches or twigs
hi, i'm looking for unique looking branches for wedding...
kellysgarden
HAVE: White Sage
I have a huge bush of (Sacred Indian Herb used to smudge)...
aimee_w
HAVE: Berea Plant Swap 2011 - Pre-Arranged Trades
Hello Berea Swappers, Swap event is June 11, 2011 in...
kilngod z6b
WANTED: Pond Liner Scraps
I just want to get some scrap pieces of pond liner...
kurtb
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™