HAVE: Cockscomb

slh290(USA)January 16, 2005

I have a type of cockcomb that I have seeds for if anyone would like some to trade for seeds you may have to offer. My plants if put in the conditions of well drained soil (I prefer to put them around my porch in dirt covered with landscape gravel)I water them every few days. Mine grow huge with a head on them in the past to about a foot in length or larger and about 8-10 inches wide. They are a deep bright marroon color. THEY ARE BEAUTIFUL They look like a brain. Mine grow to about the height of 4 ft tall and I save the seeds every year for others to get starts from. The seeds that do drop from the plants come up automatically on their own and I transplant those. Does anyone know the exact name for this variety?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mtgirl(z5WPA)

Hi Ill take some of your cockscomb. check my list and see what you would like for some Thanks

Bookmark   January 23, 2005 at 11:45AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
flowerchildky

Hi there,
I love cockscomb! There are many varieties and lots of colors...I have seen in the catalogs one called "Big Chief"...maybe that is your variety?

I am growing a pink 'plumosa' one this year and a 'big red' one...a trade from a nice lady in Mississippi...

I also planted seeds from a bouquet I purchased at the farmer's market - they are tiny babies now, and I hope to get a big orange and a dark, dark red as in the bouquet.

They are all pretty, an old time flower I can remember my grandmother growing.

have fun :))
Linda in Louisville

Bookmark   April 23, 2005 at 11:43AM
More Discussions
wanted: louisville, ky: in-person, group plant swap -- june 5, 2
Hello All! A great group plant swap is in Louisville,...
kilngod z6b
HAVE: White Sage
I have a huge bush of (Sacred Indian Herb used to smudge)...
aimee_w
WANTED: willing to trade
I am in eastern Kentucky looking for other gardeners...
Erica_Ann
Wanted: green frog eggs/tadpoles
I had several green frogs (rana clamitans) at my pond,...
jimboace
HAVE: Loveland Perennial Exchange
Granny's Harvest Celebration & Open House FREE...
janetflynch
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™