Avant Gardens opens today

diggingthedirtApril 14, 2010

If you haven't been there, put it somewhere on your list of things to do and places to go; North Dartmouth, MA, not too far from Haskells, near New Bedford.

They have a new blog, linked below, and there's a link to their retail site on the blog. Lots of fun to visit, they specialized in unusual plants long before Mahoney's started stocking anything interesting.

Here is a link that might be useful: gardenforeplay, avantgardens blog

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lschibley

That's not that far from me. Road trip anyone?

Lisa

Bookmark   April 14, 2010 at 9:48AM
kpaquette

Avant Gardens did my landscape design - working with them was great! I'm actually headed to Haskell's either today or tomorrow, and was going to swing by Avant to check out their fountains and pick up a few plants. :-)

Bookmark   April 14, 2010 at 10:04AM
asarum(z6 Boston)

I make a day long road trip out of going to Briggs Nursery in North Attleboro, Seven Arrows in South Attleboro, Avant Gardens, a stop at Outlet shopping down the street from Avant Gardens and then on to Haskell's.

Bookmark   April 14, 2010 at 12:14PM
hunt4carl

So Avant Gardens really IS that good? I've been on their mailing list for years,
just never made it in person - I like allotting lots of time for "new" nurseries
of interest - and, yes, I'm a "nursery-collector" ! Now that some of my old high school chums (from Sharon, MA) have resurfaced in Norton, maybe while visiting
them this summer I'll finally get to add Avant to my nursery collection. . .

Carl

Bookmark   April 15, 2010 at 11:27AM
runktrun(z7a MA)

Ok I confess I couldn't stand the idea of waiting and possibly missing out on Ginko biloba 'Chase Manhattan', Ilex 'Rock Garden', Veronia gigantea, Acer palamtum 'Wou Nishiki' Amorphopahilus konjac, ect, ect.. so I went ahead and ordered on line. The plants arrived in terrific shape, they used all compostable packing materials, and included two bonus plants. What more could a girl ask for.

Bookmark   April 16, 2010 at 3:51PM
diggingthedirt

Well, Kt, I had to go to the website and check out these plants; couldn't resist. Great choices! The Ginkgo is a rock garden plant, a real miniature. It's a good thing, because I'm a sucker for ginkgos and I've really run out of room for any more trees.

But the Voodoo Lily has me reaching for my credit card; I think I need a half dozen of those. Check them out, anyone who, like me, is not familiar them, at the link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Amorphopahilus konjac

Bookmark   April 16, 2010 at 11:34PM
runktrun(z7a MA)

dtd,
The Ginkgo is a rock garden plant, a real miniature
Ginko 'Chi Chi' is a good size shrub 4 x 4' and has been very happy in my garden. As you can imagine the texture is unbeatable. I suppose I will now confess that I picked up Ginkgo biloba 'Mariken' as well. I have some illness that once I fall for a plant I can't stop buying them, I guess it's like that second glass of wine.

Bookmark   April 17, 2010 at 10:57AM
More Discussions
Show Us Your Gardens - A Photo Thread -February 2015
Happy Snow Days New England Gardeners! Welcome to the...
pixie_lou
How do I add a zone to my user name?
I've been trying to edit my profile in "Your Houzz"...
claireplymouth z6b coastal MA
2015 Camellia Show at Tower Hill Botanic Garden
http://www.towerhillbg.org/index.php?cID=410 This weekend,...
The Great Backyard Bird Count Feb 13-16, 2015
The Great Backyard Bird Count Feb 13-16, 2015 About Claire...
Any Block Island gardeners here?
I've never seen any postings from anyone gardening...
bill_ri_z6b
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™