WANTED: Greenhouse

organic_barryApril 28, 2008

Do I need a greenhouse to start plants for later planting outside? In particular; I cannot get the varieties I like and would like to grow them myself from seeds. I'm growing leeks, heirloom tomatoes, Italian varieties of egg plants, various peppers, spices,and certain pepper varieties which are not teribbly common. I want to have good strong healthy plants to set out. Will a greenhouse help me do this? How should I design it? Should it be heated? I'd appreciate some insight here. My volume is not great: maybe 24 tomatoe plants, 24 pepper plants, 48 leeks, 8 basil plants, 48 carrots, 12 egg plantgs, 8' row of cilantro, 36 beets, 48 onions; and areas seeded later for corn, beans,potatoes, and peas. It is the tomatoes, eggplants, peppers, leeks, basil, and other spices (sage, catnip, spearmint,rue) I'm concerned about starting inside. What do you think? How big a greenhouse? Should it be heated? Should the seeds be started in containers on tables? Got any ideas? I'd like to hear them. Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
nance(6 KY)

I went to walmart and bought a plastic stand for 10.00.Stand has 3 shelves for plants [it is set up to be able to put a chain w S hooks to attach shop light]. You want s hooks at both ends to lower or move up as plants grow.Add heating pad at bottom. Set heating pad on Low heat and you are ready after coving the whole stand in plastic. My garage is not heated.
PS. I also do Winter Sowing

Bookmark   June 7, 2008 at 4:46PM
More Discussions
HAVE: Berea Plant Swap 2011 - Pre-Arranged Trades
Hello Berea Swappers, Swap event is June 11, 2011 in...
kilngod z6b
have: clearing out garden! louisville ky area
I am getting rid of my non-edibles and in search of...
thechef09
WANTED: Perennials Lima, Ohio
I'm putting in new landscape. If anybody has any perennials...
jparkins_ohio
WANTED: unique looking branches or twigs
hi, i'm looking for unique looking branches for wedding...
kellysgarden
wanted: louisville, ky: in-person, group plant swap -- june 5, 2
Hello All! A great group plant swap is in Louisville,...
kilngod z6b
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™