California lilac

westgate(8b Brit.Col.)January 27, 2009

I have one of these, about 3 yrs old, rather spindly and around 7 ft tall, that is being swallowed by bamboo. Can I move it successfully? And if so, How?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
morz8(Washington Coast Z8b)

Ceanothus? These have a reputation for promptly dying after being moved.

If you were going to attempt it, now - or when you soil is not too wet for spading - might be a good time but I'd treat it as an experiment even with a younger shrub. I attempted moving one once, or helped a neighbor move hers...It turned into something that looked like a scrubby tumbleweed in short order.

Bookmark   January 28, 2009 at 8:58PM
gardengal48

I agree with Mor - these really resent root disturbance or attempts at transplanting. They grow fast and are relatively inexpensive - it may be simplest to just remove, discard and replace with a new plant in the desired location.

Bookmark   January 29, 2009 at 3:03PM
westgate(8b Brit.Col.)

Thanks..... I think, in that case, I'll let it fight it out with the bamboo. (It sounds like the ceonothus will lose, but che sera, sera!)

Bookmark   January 29, 2009 at 7:07PM
Embothrium(USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA)

As a group comparatively short-lived, fast-growing chaparral shrubs not growing and persisting well were trees and taller shrubs overtake them. The most seen locally native (Seattle area etc.) species has a tendency to appear near parking lots and roadways, where there is a permanent source of hot air and freedom from being overtaken by trees.

One I saw at an overlook above a developed flatland some years ago was basking gloriously in the hot air wafting up from the rooftops and parking lots below. Last year when I went to look at it again I found a nearly dead pathetic stick in its place, a thick of Douglas fir seedlings having popped up on the embankment and shaded it.

Bookmark   February 2, 2009 at 3:24PM
More Discussions
Camelia question.
We have a camelia ten years old - looked great in the...
dwightgibb
Does soil "wear out"?
I have two gardening friends who don't know each other...
dottyinduncan
looking for scion wood in Portland area
I'm looking for peach and possibly apple scion wood....
jimmy21
Anyone "wintersowing" tomatoes in the PNW?
I wintersow/spring sow everything else and have for...
nonconformist_nymphette
Re:Anyone growing citrus in PNW
Hi everyone, I have an indoor tangerine plant for 4-5...
sweetflowers
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™