Thuja ID needed

mikebotann(8a SE of Seattle)January 31, 2014

A number of years ago I acquired this thuja. It's been so long ago I have forgotten where and when.
It's a yellowish color and not variegated. In good soil and partial shade. No water problems of too much or too little. More yellow than the olive green of the old Pyramidalis.
Any ideas?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mikebotann(8a SE of Seattle)

Here's a close-up.
Mike

Bookmark   January 31, 2014 at 7:34PM
bboy(USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA)

Has general aspect more or less like certain Thuja plicata cultivars such as 'Collyer's Gold'. Of the ones of this type 'Collyer's Gold' might be the most likely as a comparatively accessible example has been present in the Seattle arboretum for years, with rooted cuttings of it having been sold by the volunteers at the Calvert Greenhouse - in addition to others no doubt repeatedly helping themselves and putting it in local commerce.

The sprays and branching of yours is quite like 'Gelderland' but that is an assertively green form, with no yellowness - and less (or no) dwarfing of the growth.

This post was edited by bboy on Sat, Feb 1, 14 at 14:50

Bookmark   February 1, 2014 at 2:46PM
mikebotann(8a SE of Seattle)

Thank you bboy. I always appreciate your knowledge and experience.
Over the years of doing new landscaping and yard makeovers I've acquired a modest variety of trees and shrubs, whatever caught my eye. If I saw something I liked I would ask for a few cuttings. More often than not, the homeowner didn't know the name of the plant. (You know) Precise nomenclature wasn't as important as it is now.
I've got another Thuja for ya later today. I'll take a picture when it gets light.
Mike..... Go HAWKS!

Bookmark   February 2, 2014 at 6:09AM
bboy(USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA)

Figuring out which species it is (T. occidentalis or T. plicata) would be a good initial filter. If it is actually T. occidentalis then there are dozens of yellow cultivars. After doing that then trying the conifer forum here (if not done already) will be sure to produce discussion.

Bookmark   February 2, 2014 at 2:26PM
More Discussions
Question re: NW Garden show
We are planning to go to the NW Garden show for the...
dottyinduncan
looking for scion wood in Portland area
I'm looking for peach and possibly apple scion wood....
jimmy21
OK to plant garlic in February in Portland, OR?
Would it make sense to plant garlic in February in...
LanaRoma
2nd annual 'Shovel Prune' plant swap (Portland area)
Just wanted remind people to start thinking about,...
duane456
Portland Yard Garden & Patio Show
Did anyone here ever attend that show and could give...
enith
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™