Bird poop problems

ellen_portland(z8 OR)January 23, 2012

Hi,

Not sure if anyone can help me ;-) We have a Wisteria vine that winds around the post of our front stoop and across the front awning. There have been Finch nests there for a few years now. Just this last month there is now a proliferation of bird poop right in front of our front step. I am not sure what to do, part of me wants to put a small piece of chicken wire up to deter the birds, but then I am torn to keep the birds out of the vine they love so much and away from the nests... even though they won't be used until spring.

It's just frustrating that their has never been all this poop before, but the nests have been there a few years.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
larry_gene

Is the poop coming from birds perched on the vine or directly from nesting activity? Perhaps it would be feasible to suspend some replaceable cloth to catch the poop.

Bookmark   January 23, 2012 at 10:48PM
ellen_portland(z8 OR)

I don't think there is any birds nesting at this time of year? They have just come back each Spring. This is just the first time we've had a build up of poop. I really don't want something visible hanging there to catch the poop... I was thinking of the chicken wire as a deterrent. ? I'm wondering why now there is poop when there wasn't before. I haven't noticed an increase in birds- it's just weird.

Bookmark   January 23, 2012 at 11:43PM
Embothrium(USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA)

Since the wisteria is a huge and powerful vine unless kept diligently pruned to remain unnaturally small maybe having it wrapped around the post etc. is not going to work out anyway - and the plant should be removed.

This would of course also take away the place for the birds to hang out.

There are tall native conifers in this region with wisteria vines growing all the way to their tops. In time the trunks of full-sized wisteria vines become quite stout. I have also seen a big one sending out runners across the top of a bed, like a sheet of piano wire. Not really a plant for a small space in a modest setting.

Bookmark   January 27, 2012 at 5:12PM
More Discussions
What is good lilac to grow in North Seattle area?
My mom died last week. She liked smell of lilac flower. My...
briergardener_gw
what to do here?
Thinking of planting native shrubs, salal, redtwig...
zephyrgal
evergreens for by gate
I have a couple of Columnar Dwarf Siberian Dogwood...
hallerlake
Crape Myrtles in PNW - trick to get them to bloom?
I have three Crape Myrtles I planted that have been...
wynswrld98
One month early bolssom - Apricot
PNW (8A) Due to warm winter my 5 year old Tomcot Apricot...
Pachhu
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™