Carolina jessamine?

leslie6riApril 6, 2012

Hello,

I bought a Carolina jessamine (Gelsemium sempervirens) at The Farmer's Daughter nursery on Rhode Island even though I thought it was only hardy to Zone 7. I'd read about this plant and wanted it for its fragrance. I read a few promising reviews on that other gardening site which lead me to hope it might just survive in my Zone 6b garden. Has anyone any experience with this plant? Any of you lucky Zone 7 gardeners growing this?

Thanks,

Leslie

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bill_ri_z6b(Zone 6B)

Leslie,
I have a large (5 year old?) Gelsemium sempervirens 'Margarita'. If you have 'Margarita' it should be fine. I believe it's hardy to zone 5, but for sure it does fine here. If I have a photo I will post it. It's covered with yellow flowers in May-June. Mine is now 8-9 feet tall against the fence, and about 5 feet across.

Bookmark   April 7, 2012 at 5:01AM
leslie6ri

Hi Bill,

I had read about 'Margarita' being hardier. I'll have to recheck the cultivar name of mine. The Farmer's Daughter probably chose a hardy variety (I'm hoping). Thanks also for the size information; that's really helpful. 9' by 5' --I'll have to be careful where I plant it and give it enough room. Is your plant very fragrant?

Bookmark   April 9, 2012 at 10:38AM
diggingthedirt

I had one, but I'm not sure of the cultivar.

It did beautifully here, even in the relatively poor soil in which it was planted. Sadly, I'd placed it next to the house, and someone - who refuses to admit to the crime - killed it. It should do well on a fence, but it's a twiner, so if it's a solid wood fence, like stockade, it might need something to latch onto. In my case, it chose the downspout - which led to its untimely demise.

I don't recall this being especially fragrant - maybe I missed something.

Bookmark   April 9, 2012 at 2:05PM
bill_ri_z6b(Zone 6B)

I don't get any fragrance. It is on a solid fence, but it holds pretty well along the horizontal fence beams. It held on fine with all that wind yesterday, and I'm on a hill that always gets any breeze there is, and all the wind. Right now it's got some buds showing yellow and it's LOADED with buds this year. I'll post a picture when it's in full bloom.

Bookmark   April 10, 2012 at 6:38AM
leslie6ri

Hi diggingthedirt,

I laughed at your post. I'm under strict orders not to plant anything too close to the house. But that's always where I want to plant. Now that I know its eventual size, I'll have to think carefully. I'll be sure to keep mine away from any downspouts.

Bill,

My plant is 'Margarita' and it is also covered in buds even though it's quite small. I'm disappointed by the lack of fragrance, though. Gelsemium sempervirens is supposed to be very fragrant while Gelsemium rankinii is scentless. I'll have to wait and see if mine has fragrance. Maybe it's a trade-off, greater hardiness and less scent. I'd love to see a photo of yours...

Bookmark   April 10, 2012 at 7:57AM
leslie6ri

Here are a couple of photos of Gelsemium s. 'Margarita' --still in its pot.

Bookmark   April 17, 2012 at 1:56PM
bill_ri_z6b(Zone 6B)

Leslie,
That's a nice size plant you have there. May I ask when you bought it? I was at the Farmer's Daughter the other day and I didn't see any there.

Mine is starting to bloom and I'll post a photo as soon as it's at peak. Not only are the flowers really attractive, but it's one of the few vines I know of that are evergreen.

Bookmark   April 18, 2012 at 4:32AM
More Discussions
Winter weather in the kitchen - 2015 edition
This is the official thread to talk about (complain?)...
pixie_lou
Is your past content on GW missing?
Yesterday, I went looking for my old comments, to see...
prairiemoon2 z6 MA
Any Block Island gardeners here?
I've never seen any postings from anyone gardening...
bill_ri_z6b
How to contact the new GardenWeb
On the right side of the main New England Gardening...
claireplymouth z6b coastal MA
What Trees in Your Yard Look Prettiest Now?
We tend to fixate on Spring blooms. What trees in your...
edlincoln
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™