Wascawry wabbits!

michigoose(Z5OH)January 20, 2006

I am heart broken! I went out and not only did rabbits eat the crowns off my Amelanchier arbutifolia and my styrax japonica, but they nipped the bark (and I'm praying it isn't completely girdled) on my chionanthus virginicus and the red buckeye. The viburnums and the japanese maples are now pruned. As in short. As in all of the viburnums...all of this is in open area behind the fence. So far, I don't see any damage inside the fence. Dagnabit, but they even took the lower branches off the lilacs!

I spent some time painting cuts, and wrapping chickenwire around the trunks. If I had known it was going to be like this, I would have done it earlier. I'm hoping the Am. Kestrel and the Red Tailed hawks which I have seen sitting on my fence will have a hosenfeffer dinner....dang it all!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mrsgeekboy(z6 SWOH)

Oh no! I'm so sorry, michigoose (have I ever mentioned I love your name?).

Our neighborhood is built up enough that it's pretty rare to see rabbits, except the little stinker inside our house. When I hear the trouble they make, I have very glad of it! I know if our bunny was a "wild" bunny, he'd be the terror of the cul de sac.

Bookmark   January 21, 2006 at 8:49AM
storygardener(5/6 central oh)

I understand, Michigoose, & I know what you mean. We have "urban commando bunnies" in our neighborhood. I swear they come in marching 2 by 2. They eat my heuchera, kerria, hydrangea and sharpen their teeth on my younger trees.

One year I put Ropel on things (test first)..it's not a poison. It's very, very bitter and will keep them from going back.

Good luck.

Bookmark   January 23, 2006 at 12:31PM
mamimo(Sunset 16)

Oh no, I am so sorry to hear about those &%##@@ dang rabbits. Hope your plants survive the attack. Will rabbit stew for dinner cheer you up?

Bookmark   January 25, 2006 at 9:44PM
michigoose(Z5OH)

I would love some rabbit stew..or fried rabbit...or....

I used ropel on my bulbs...I never thought about the other. I'll spray some tomorrow. I gave up using gloves and can attest that Ropel is very very bitter. Unfortunately, it can be absorbed through your skin....Ick!

Bookmark   January 25, 2006 at 10:27PM
fourpaws2002(z6OH)

Aren't they just a PITA, I noticed today they chewed off what little bit of a tip on a hosta-that floors me! and have taken down a couple small shrubs, they leave the evidence behind-so there's no mistaking who did it-LOL. I've even noticed areas in the mulch where something has dug-not really deep so I don't know if it's wabbit or squirrel-either way it looks like it's already time to get out the screening-all this work, for the LOVE OF A GARDEN!

Bookmark   January 28, 2006 at 9:18PM
More Discussions
What area forums does Marion IL fit into?
I just moved from NW GA Georgia Gardening to Southern...
organic_gardenhag
When is the Fall 2014 Plant Swap, please help :)
I wrote down info for the wrong plant swap, the one...
KatsPlants
Small upright shade bush
I have a small shade space on the north side next to...
Carol7853
Little Miami River Area
Hello everyone, I am very new here and very new to...
jekca
Is anyone growing Sarcococca?
I've heard humelis may be more hardy than has been...
BabyHelpful
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™