Little shoots of green to warm my heart :)

ginam_oh(COL/OH z5)February 18, 2005

Yesterday (after watching the freaky blizzard swirling around outside my house), I decided to take a trip through the garden...had to check out my WS containers and figured I'd scope out the rest while I was at it.

Imagine my surprise to see shoots poking their way through the soil! Now, I just hope they're not premature--since I'm new to Ohio gardening, I don't know how much they can take. My peonies are sending up nice red stalks, I have some mystery bulb-like shoots popping out that didn't show up last year, several of my Bakemom sedum plants are waking up, and even my daisy is sending up some new green.

How this happens each year is just a miracle. A MIRACLE! Isn't it wonderful?

But reassure me, seasoned Ohio gardeners. Is all of this green coming up much too soon? Or is Ma Nature right on schedule?

Gina

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kowalleka(z6 OH)

Gina,

Your garden should be fine. I have tons of daylilies up 2-3" already. And lots of sedum and irises poking their heads up. Although they don't always come out this early, they still manage to survive any freezes and snows we still get.

Welcome to the area!

Diane

Bookmark   February 19, 2005 at 1:52PM
bakemom_gw(z6 Central Ohio)

Mine are fine. Yours probably are too. My fall crocuses are up. Go figga.

Bookmark   February 19, 2005 at 11:23PM
ginam_oh(COL/OH z5)

What a relief! I feel like as of spring, I will have made it through one complete Ohio growing season and will (hopefully) not have quite so many crazy newbie questions!

This spring I'll finish up my theis, which means MANY extra garden hours will have been freed up. I can't wait!! I'm now planning where/how to expand my beds for this year, which helps take my mind off obssessively checking my WS containers for sprouts. :)

Bookmark   February 20, 2005 at 1:40PM
More Discussions
Is anyone growing Sarcococca?
I've heard humelis may be more hardy than has been...
BabyHelpful
What to plant along a stream?
WARNING: I'm a gardening novice so please forgive any...
GiantSycamore
Small upright shade bush
I have a small shade space on the north side next to...
Carol7853
What is this vine?
I would love to know what this vine is. it has came...
rhondals_2006
Knock Out Roses - slow to come to life in Central Ohio
Hi All - My knock out roses are barely showing signs...
pauladd1963
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™