from south to north

ihoot(6)February 15, 2010

I recently relocated to Cincinnati from Alabama and would like to know what sorts of things I can start planting for the spring and when is a good time to start. I don't have a yard, so I am limited to a container garden, but have a very well lit patio.

Any suggestions?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Mickie Marquis(6 SW Ohio)

Welcome to Ohio! I don't do much outside until mid-May. I start some seeds for tomatos and peppers after Valentine's Day. Some of the cold season plants like peas can be planted outside about the middle of April. Does that help? It might help to join a garden club for a few years to get the 'hang' of it. I live in Lebanon, so very close to you!

Mickie

Bookmark   February 16, 2010 at 3:19PM
raee_gw

What sort of plants are you thinking of? Flowers, fruits, veggies, perennials?

Cincinnati has a little longer growing season than here but I think pretty much the same plants do well. All the traditional annuals can be grown.
As for starting seeds now--probably ask in the winter sowing forum. I have sown seeds like zinnia, cosmos, poppy, bachelors buttons in early March using that technique with good success.

Bookmark   February 22, 2010 at 1:32PM
ihoot(6)

i was mostly thinking annuals because i don't really have anywhere to keep plants indoors when it gets cold (i have a dog that enjoys eating plants). some that i have narrowed it down to are alyssum, fan flower, vergena, and some sort of snapdragon. i would like to attempt a flowering onion, but hear they are difficult to grow and it seems as though it may be too late in the season to start it from bulb.

Bookmark   February 22, 2010 at 2:52PM
raee_gw

Well, all of those plants will do well in our climate; except I know nothing about flowering onions.

I've had great success with geraniums (both kinds), sweet potato vine, mandevilla, victoria blue salvia, hibiscus, callas, creeping jenny, amaryllis, chinese maple and more in pots on the patio.

I don't start any of those from seed myself, maybe others have experience with starting the more annuals from seed about now.

Bookmark   March 1, 2010 at 1:36PM
More Discussions
lilac bush
hello. we have some lilac bushes that are several years...
Ron_b.
I need Help finding a forum
I moved from NW GA to Southern IL. Help Please1
organic_gardenhag
Anyone Growing 'Knock-Out' Roses. Recommendations?
So, if you are growing the "Knock-Out" roses,...
jmcdmd
Small upright shade bush
I have a small shade space on the north side next to...
Carol7853
What area forums does Marion IL fit into?
I just moved from NW GA Georgia Gardening to Southern...
organic_gardenhag
Sponsored Products
Kamenstein 16 Cube Bamboo Inspirations Spice Rack - 5084922
$49.99 | Hayneedle
Sunglasses at Night Tray
$47.99 | Dot & Bo
Emily Cotton Stripe Shower Curtain
Overstock.com
Jamaica Bay Circle Rings Double Gourd Table Lamp
Lamps Plus
18W 120V T4 G24q-2 Quad Tube CFL 2700K Bulb by SATCO Lighting
$12.99 | Lumens