rabbit damage

woody64(5a)March 23, 2009

I have a couple of pear trees that the rabbits have eaten some of the bark of the trunk and was wondering if theres anything I can put on the trunk to help save the tree?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
marricgardens

I get rabbit damage on my roses and purple sandcherry each year. I try to remember to put a cage around them each fall. I just prune off all the chewed parts. If the rabbits completely girdled the trunk, the plant cannot be saved. This year they chewed one of my Explorer roses but it was above the graft. I'm going to prune off the chewed parts, put a small 'cage' around the base and hope for the best. Needless to say I forgot to put a cage around them in the fall. There's a row with 4 bushes and I'll have to figure something out for this fall. I was also thinking of planting some russian sage nearby and hoping the rabbits would stay away, wishful thinking? Marg

Bookmark   March 23, 2009 at 8:34AM
Bogart(6 Ont.)

I've had success this year (so far, anyway...) by sticking in a barrier of Buckthorn branches around Magnolia and corkscrew hazels that in previous years the rabbits would do a lot of damage to.

Can you believe it - buckthorn is good for something in a cultivated setting???

Bookmark   March 23, 2009 at 4:26PM
ginkgonut(4)

I use the white plastic tubes around my trees.

Bookmark   March 29, 2009 at 7:42AM
More Discussions
help lilacs near garden
Hi, I am planning to do a lilac hedgerow north side...
Meuhey
yellow magnoila tree
I have a small five year old yellow magnolia that I...
diane_v_44
dieffenbachia flowering
Hello there. My dieffenbachia is about five years old...
Winnie12
Rhubarb seed
I am looking for seed or plants of the ornamental Atrosanguinium/Atorpurporeum...
Garlicking
suggestions for buying online clematis
I am looking for Canadian sites to search/buy clematis...
bloomorelse
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™