planting cold weather crops anyone?

auntiedonna2(z5MA)April 14, 2006

Hi folks, I am wondering if anyone has started planting cold weather crops outside? My husband is in his first year of retirement...The gardens are already tilled.

I planted, Lettuce, Swiss Chard, Beets, Carrots & Peas., firgure I will start with small rows and try to replant another batch in about 10 days. Our gardens are usually under snow or water this time of year. It will be interesting to see if these rows produce any faster than something planted later in the month.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
diggerdee zone 6 CT

I winter-sow, and I planted out my lettuce and beet seedlings a few days ago. This is my first year ever growing beets, so I wasn't sure if I planted too early, but I think they'll be okay. I got a late start on my peas, but they will be planted out as soon as they sprout.

I'm also trying eggplant for the first time. They sprouted yesterday, so they will be planted out probably next week some time.

:)
Dee

Bookmark   April 14, 2006 at 2:30PM
gata(z5a NH)

I planted peas yesterday, along with some onion sets and onion plants (red). I was surprised to see onion plants at walmart.

Bookmark   April 14, 2006 at 7:38PM
solana(z5a NH)

I'm direct sowing everything mentioned above plus radishes; have some winter sown broccoli which will go out as soon as it's large enough to handle.

Bookmark   April 16, 2006 at 9:19AM
paulaj(z5 ME)

I've direct-seeded peas(4/1), broc, cabbbage, lettuce, onion, spinach and got so hopeful I even put in a row of corn, and a little okra. The raised beds were steaming, the sunshine was streaming, and I thought, what the hey. What if this spring continues warmer than usual, the garden will be ahead. If there's a bad frost, I'll just replant. The soil looks good enough to eat...

Bookmark   April 16, 2006 at 10:21AM
annie_nh(z4/5 NH)

I've direct-seeded lettuce and spinach and they have all sprouted. My late husband used to plant peas every year on April 1st . If there was snow on the ground he would shovel it off. We always had plenty of peas for the 4th of July. I don't do that anymore as I hate to shell them.
I'll be interested to know how your eggplant survives, Dee . It would never survive this early in my garden but maybe it will in yours since you are in zone 6.

Bookmark   April 17, 2006 at 6:25AM
bobbyearth

What is the best way to plant Onions???By Onions plants
or by Onion sets?? And what is the correct time to plant same in the great state of Massachusetts.

Bookmark   April 1, 2009 at 6:33PM
More Discussions
Historic winter of 2014-2015---Damage report
I thought we could start a thread to outline the casualties...
rockman50
Birds and other mobile features in the garden 2015 #4
This thread is intended to give people a place to post...
claireplymouth z6b coastal MA
Open Gardens for 2015
I got a brochure in the mail from the Garden Conservancy...
NHBabs
No spray cherry, apple, and pear tree recommendations?
I have larger area of my yard, where at some point...
agurkas
when do your daffodils bloom?
When do your daffodils bloom? I can't wait for them...
daffodil33
Sponsored Products
Red Carpet Studios Doorknob Chimes - 13341
$29.99 | Hayneedle
Dancing Jellyfish Airplant - Set of 2
| Dot & Bo
Sage & Co Single Ball 29-inch Boxwood Topiary
Overstock.com
Jaipur Coastal Living(R) I-O Nautilus Abstract Pattern Gray /Black Indoor/ Outdo
$202.00 | Hayneedle
6-foot Prelit Artificial Lakewood Fir Tree with 450 LED Warm Lights and Metal St
Overstock.com
Bougainvillea Lace Botanical Arrangement
$799.00 | FRONTGATE
Silvery Blue Tulips IV Wall Art
$699.00 | FRONTGATE
Furniture of America Mavea 4-Tier Bookshelf - IDF-AC123
$239.99 | Hayneedle
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™