What type of soil is in Lexington, KY?

AustinGarden(6B)February 26, 2013

I'm moving there in a few months, and I LOVE to garden. I'd like to able to have beautiful plants there. Like, is it well drained, clay, red clay, sandy, loamy, silty, saline, or peaty. If you know what it is, please say so and list a few plants that would grow. Plus trees, if you want. I know this isn't the right category, but where else was I supposed to ask?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cliff98(z6 OH)

You can zoom in to the exact location on this map and it will tell you soil composition.

http://casoilresource.lawr.ucdavis.edu/gmap/

Bookmark   April 9, 2013 at 12:47PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
grabmebymyhandle(6 Kentucky)

Soil here is extremely variable, and extremely thin this makes the layers of strata shallow, you can have glorious black humus and 3 inches down hit grey blue snotty clay, it varies from street to street even, parts of town are an old lake bed, it was huge, soil on the old banks of it are great...
If you land in an old area of lex, chevy chase, henry clay, southland, the list goes on and on, then you will have great humusy loam, if you land in one of the MANY new house, you may find you actually have subsoil for your yard, fun stuff... Everything around here is usually easily amended with sand, peat, humus, etc... Except the worst clays and deep sub soil that's been exposed...
Generally though the bluegrass platuae and specifically Lexington are some of the best soil in the region, the only better is undisturbed mountain soil... Sadly the situation is that soil is being paved over, scraped and sold off for topsoil as more neighborhoods pop up, or being turned to horse farms, and fast! Pretty sad to see...
We can grow most anythin here, I grow cacti and succulents, tropicals and weird stuff, goes inside or in my greenhouse for winter and out in the yard for summer, but at farm we have lilies, daylilies, hostas, iris, gladiolus, roses, on and on, it's hot enough and the seasons long enough to grow all but the most tropical stuff...
Email me when you get if you would like
I have lots if plants. : )

Bookmark   May 10, 2013 at 1:17AM
More Discussions
When is the Fall 2014 Plant Swap, please help :)
I wrote down info for the wrong plant swap, the one...
KatsPlants
Small upright shade bush
I have a small shade space on the north side next to...
Carol7853
Anyone Growing 'Knock-Out' Roses. Recommendations?
So, if you are growing the "Knock-Out" roses,...
jmcdmd
What is this vine?
I would love to know what this vine is. it has came...
rhondals_2006
Sponsored Products
Lexington Home Brands Fieldale Lodge Cypress 8 Drawer Chest - 01-0455-307
Hayneedle
Lexington Red Four-Light Pendant with Satin Nickel Canopy
$424.80 | Bellacor
Floor Lamp: Lexington Dark Walnut 71 In. Combo Floor Lamp 4052-15
Home Depot
Stacy Garcia Lexington Stripe Cinnamon Bronze Club Lamp
$99.99 | Lamps Plus
Lexington Microfiber Suede Inner Spring Queen-size Futon Sofa Bed Sleeper
Overstock.com