UMass Extension Landscape Message April 13, 2012

claireplymouth z6b coastal MAApril 13, 2012

UMass Extension Landscape Message April 13, 2012

"Winter Moth remain active but growth rate has been slowed by the much cooler temperatures of the past week. Larvae are either first or second instars and therefore still quite small. For infested plants with opened or opening buds, a spray of Bacillus thuringiensis Kurstaki (B.t.K.) can be quite effective. However, B.t. needs to be ingested by the caterpillars to be effective and if the foliage is not yet near to being fully expanded, then wait for that to happen. Otherwise, the new foliage material that appears over the next several days, after spraying B.t., will not be covered with B.t. thus allowing the caterpillars more leaf surface to damage before ingesting the pesticide. An application of a product that contains Spinosad as the active ingredient should provide excellent results at this time or in the coming weeks during the caterpillar feeding stage. Many pyrethroid insecticides are labeled for caterpillars as well. Avoid spraying apples and crabapples with Spinosad or pyrethroid products if they are in bloom. Pyrethroids can be very harsh on pollinators, such as bees. Spinosad products are toxic to bees at the time of application but this threat diminishes significantly 24 hours after application."

Claire

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
claireplymouth z6b coastal MA

It's getting confusing with three Landscape Message threads on top. I'll try to send this one down.

Claire

Bookmark   April 20, 2012 at 4:26PM
More Discussions
Landscape Design Council Awards at Boston Flower & Garden Show
I received a press release from Frances Wheeler regarding...
bostongardens
Open Gardens for 2015
I got a brochure in the mail from the Garden Conservancy...
NHBabs
How do I add a zone to my user name?
I've been trying to edit my profile in "Your Houzz"...
claireplymouth z6b coastal MA
Annie_NH Annual Plant Swap June 7, 2015
Hello, this is Annie's daughter Becky. We will be having...
annie_nh
Snowdrops
Yes, I know you think they're just cute little white...
Steve Massachusetts Zone 5b
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™