April 7&8 2007 Annual Leota (Southern Indiana) Daffodil Show

Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana(zone 5/6)March 20, 2007

will be held at the Leota Barn. View the flowers from exhibitors for several states. Show hours are 2:00 to 10;00 on April 7 and 8;00 AM to 10 PM on April 8. The nearby Leota Gardens will be open for viewing. For more information call 812-752-2998.

The above info was in my REMC newsletter. For anyone who really enjoys daffs, this is the place to see a lot of varieties, up close and personal.

For years I admired a daffodil named Rose, which actually smelled like a like a real rose. I finally added it to my collection late last fall.

Others that stood out for me were the many pink (and white) varieties. I have seen it said that there are no true 'pink' daffs, but there are always many very pretty ones that looked pretty pink to me.

Sue

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
wish2okc

Sue, where is Leota Gardens?

Bookmark   March 22, 2007 at 7:20AM
Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana(zone 5/6)

I believe Leota Gardens is the name given to the residence of Helen Trueblood...The organizer of the Daffodil Show and President of the Southern Indiana Daffodil Growers Society.

Leota is a small community...actually a small crossroads in the country. There is a new covered bridge where the 2 roads cross. The Show is held in 'the Community Building' (barn)...within about 200 ft of the bridge.

Helen lives across the road, and about 4 years ago, she told me she had 1500+ varieties of daffodils growing then.

If time allows, she might accompany one on a tour of her gardens, (or a part on them) and I am always filled with questions about the many things she has growing. She once grabbed a spade and shared divisions of a sedum, and celendine poppy with me and a friend.

She is 87 years old, and truly one of the most interesting and amazing folks I have ever had the pleasure of meeting.

Sue

Here is a link that might be useful: Leota at Indiana crossroads

Bookmark   March 24, 2007 at 8:42PM
wish2okc

Is it close to Louisville?

Bookmark   March 25, 2007 at 8:07AM

Yes...fairly close to Louisville. Scottsburg (exit 29) is 29 miles north of Louisville, and then it is about 10 minutes to Leota after exiting the Interstate at Scottsburg.

Sue

Bookmark   March 28, 2007 at 10:54PM

just 3 more days, so I thought I'd bring this back to the top here.

Is anyone planning on attending? Exhibiting?

Sue

Bookmark   April 4, 2007 at 10:05AM
More Discussions
WANTED: To trade with Licking County Resident, Newark, Heath, Heb
I'm looking for a local resident of Licking County,...
KatsPlants
Oak trees.... Starting from acorns, need help
Hi everyone, I'm brand new to this but I hope someone...
Cornell-plantintrees
Fleur de Lis Festival Louisville KY
May 26-27 at Waterfront Park, Louisville. May 26 hours...
kydaylilylady
Is anyone growing Sarcococca?
I've heard humelis may be more hardy than has been...
BabyHelpful
Voles, Field Mice or Chipmunk!?
Hello! I keep seeing this tiny 'mouse' like rodent...
ClevelandGreenThumb
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™