Ribes laurifolium

cloud_shine(7b Willamette Vly OR)February 20, 2010

Is anyone else growing the evergreen laurel currant (Ribes laurifolium)? Although mine is barely 18 in. high and has only been in the ground a couple of years, it is already flowering profusely. The flowers came out before the beginning of February and still look great. The Âbook says that it will eventually get 4-6 ft. high, but it appears that it doesnÂt have to be mature before putting on a plenty of blooms..

The leaves are quite large and leathery for such a small plant. The habit is spreading but still restrained. Mine gets about a half dayÂs sun in the summer but is in a wind-protected area. It got down to about 10F here this winter and last year we had over 2 feet of snow on the ground for several weeks. It came through both of those seasons with flying colors.

IÂd recommend this to anyone looking for an evergreen winter-blooming shrub in our climate.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Embothrium(USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA)

I've known and grown this for years, although I would have to check to see if I still have one here at this time. There are related species on the local market now, too.

Yours is getting notched by weevils, which means it may also have grubs gnawing the roots. Removing the potting medium and inspecting the roots might be a good idea.

If it is near overhanging conifers or architecture moving it out away from that could also produce a reduction in their attentions.

Bookmark   February 20, 2010 at 5:44PM
cloud_shine(7b Willamette Vly OR)

Thanks bboy, I will check out the possibility of "critters" in my little shrub. But it will probably stay where it's at ... overhanging conifers and all. I can put up with a few notches. After all, I'm not on the garden tour ... lol.

Bookmark   February 20, 2010 at 11:38PM
nwhorthappy(z8 WA)

I love my Ribes laurifolium, too! Got it from Heronswood 7 or 8 years ago. I've increased my supply easily by layering (pegging stems down on the ground) and cuttings. It's a welcome early bloomer, and I've had no trouble with it in cold winters (to 5 degrees) of Upper Skagit Valley.

Bookmark   February 26, 2010 at 11:37PM
More Discussions
August Bloomers
We have a family reunion planned for our house in mid...
mcsix
One month early bolssom - Apricot
PNW (8A) Due to warm winter my 5 year old Tomcot Apricot...
Pachhu
Is it time to prune?
With the warm winter we are having, everything seems...
duncandotty
2nd annual 'Shovel Prune' plant swap (Portland area)
Just wanted remind people to start thinking about,...
duane456
Crape Myrtles in PNW - trick to get them to bloom?
I have three Crape Myrtles I planted that have been...
wynswrld98
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™