Planting in Dry Conditions

Steve Massachusetts Zone 5bApril 1, 2012

I've linked below to a blog article from Weston Nurseries. The map that accompanies the article is very interesting. It shows SE Mass and a good portion of CT in moderate drought, and most of the rest of New England in "unusually dry" conditions. They make recommendations for planting that are unusual for this time of year. As trees and shrubs are starting to be planted now, it is timely advice.

Weston Nurseries Blog

Steve

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
NHBabs(4b-5aNH)

It really is unusually dry for this time of year here. I am working in my veggie garden doing prep, and usually it's unworkable now, either under snow, still frozen, or totally sodden.

Bookmark   April 1, 2012 at 12:52PM
gardenweed_z6a

This time last year I had to buy a pump and pump the water out of my cellar due to the heavy snow over winter followed by drenching rains in spring. The pump worked well but I had to stand there while it pumped which became tedius as the days and weeks passed. I tacked a shower curtain to the side of my garage and draped it over my sprouted winter sown containers to keep the rain off them.

Fast forward to 2012 and I'm busy again, this time bottom watering my sprouted winter sown containers that are drying out from the lack of snow and rain.

Steve - thanks for posting the link to that blog even if it didn't tell me anything I didn't already know. The map was helpful too.

Bookmark   April 1, 2012 at 1:30PM
claireplymouth z6b coastal MA

Not too dry here, but I'm not touching any of the mulch or doing any gardening until later in the season. Spring comes late here anyway, and I keep a thick layer of leaves/compost/pine needles all over to retain the winter's moisture.

There have been Red Flag Warnings for fire danger posted several times, when the wind has been very high combined with very low humidity. Forest fires we don't need.

Claire

Bookmark   April 1, 2012 at 3:26PM
terrene(5b MA)

Yeah the map is interesting, although the blog doesn't tell me anything I don't know either. It is very unusual for precipitation to be this low this time of year. Has me quite worried, but I'm a worry wart, so hopefully it won't be that bad.

I already have 250 feet of hose hooked up around the house and have been watering recent transplants, as well as anything that was planted or transplanted in the latter half of last year.

Bookmark   April 1, 2012 at 5:33PM
More Discussions
What happened to the SEARCH button?
I know I have another birthday coming and my eyes are...
moliep
UMass Extension Landscape Message March 27, 2015
UMass Extension Landscape Message #2 - 2015 The Landscape...
Ferjulian's, Brigham Nursery, & Gerards's
Ferjulian in Hudson, MA I discovered this nice hidden...
mrtulin
How do I add a zone to my user name?
I've been trying to edit my profile in "Your Houzz"...
Hummingbird Spring Migration 2015
I've been checking regularly and finally today there...
Sponsored Products
Campania International Millbridge Cast Stone Urn Planter - P-552-AL
$659.99 | Hayneedle
Monaco Pajama Set
$199.00 | FRONTGATE
Alexandria Rocker Chair - C367BLK
$399.99 | Hayneedle
9'x12' Antiqued Tabriz 100% Wool Handmade Oriental Rug Vegetable Dyes Sh20190
1800 Get A Rug
Kickin It Personalized Duvet Set
$129.99 | zulily