Painting my shed in February?

Merilia(8 PNW)February 9, 2012

I ordered some bare root roses that I would like to grow up a trellis on the side of my shed. At the moment, I haven't put the trellis up yet, but I want to paint the shed first because it is hideous.

The paint I want to use says it should be between 50 and 90 degrees outside when I apply it. Unless we get another weekend like the last one I doubt we'll see temperatures like that on a sunny weekend day before I need to put the roses in (because I don't want them to break dormancy before I plant them). How much of a problem would it be for me to go ahead and paint my shed on the very next non-rainy weekend day we get? Will the paint simply not dry? Or will there be other problems like adhesion or coverage? I was planning to use some basic exterior latex paint.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Embothrium(USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA)

Yes, you should wait until the warm season to paint. Roses are easy to move when not leafy, maybe grow them (in the ground) someplace else this summer and plant them next to the shed next winter.

Bookmark   February 9, 2012 at 1:28PM
sundevil(z7 WA)

Save yourself some headaches and use good quality exterior paint. My can of Sherwin Williams Duration says it can be applied when temps are as low as 35 F. Metal siding needs to be 50 F.

For more info Google 'Duration paint'. Consumer Reports also rates paint.

Bookmark   February 10, 2012 at 5:41PM
reg_pnw7(WA 7, sunset 4)

The best suggestion is to plant the roses in large pots for now, and not put them in the ground until the shed is painted. To some extent you could work around them if you planted them first, IF you're doing the work yourself, but best is to not put them in harm's way. It's not going to be reliably warm and dry enough to paint anytime soon and if it is, the roses are going to start growing.

Bookmark   February 11, 2012 at 11:23AM
Karchita(WA Z8)

I've applied latex paint in what is February weather here. Those conditions are summer weather where I was (Alaska), so there wasn't much choice. It is not a problem except the paint will take longer to dry.

Bonus unsolicited advice: Always use the best paint you can afford. Cheap paint isn't really a bargain. :-)

Bookmark   February 12, 2012 at 5:16PM
More Discussions
One month early bolssom - Apricot
PNW (8A) Due to warm winter my 5 year old Tomcot Apricot...
Pachhu
Compost Bin Advice
After researching the costs of materials and help to...
anise_hyssop
Healthy old-fashioned roses in white and buff/copper?
I've got two particular spots where I'd like to install...
Kristin
Grape hobbyists in Olympia Area?
I am looking for a home for a few hybrid grapes. Lost...
David
Need help with identifying the greens in my garden.
Hi I moved to a house in Washington state and i found...
wonryu132
Sponsored Products
Mr. and Mrs. Box - MULTI COLORS
$230.00 | Horchow
Artehouse Pug Wooden Wall Art - 14W x 20H in. - 0004-1986-26
$64.99 | Hayneedle
A19 Lighting | Madera Wall Sconce
$105.99 | YLighting
A19 Lighting | Oahu ADA Wall Sconce
$159.99 | YLighting
Country Style Wooden Candlestick Floor Lamp With Bamboo Shade
ParrotUncle