Rhododendron mucronulatum 'Cornell Pink'

ginny12April 29, 2011

I have a really nice specimen of this shrub--over 20 years old and looking spectacular this year. And the deer have not touched it.

I was thinking of planting more of them to replace some of my deer-ruined shrubs but someone told me it isn't available at local--within an hour of Boston--nurseries anymore.

Is that true? Has anyone seen it this spring in a nursery where you trust them to label plants correctly? Not the big-box stores or their ilk.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
claireplymouth z6b coastal MA

I haven't visited any nurseries yet this spring (too dangerous) but you might try calling Katsura Gardens or Morrison's Home and Garden, both in Plymouth. These are run by reliable and knowledgable people.

Claire

Bookmark   April 29, 2011 at 3:25PM
pixie_lou

You could always propogate new plants.

Bookmark   April 29, 2011 at 7:17PM
ginny12

Thanks for the nursery suggestions, Claire. And Pixie, I can't wait that long but thanks for the thought.

Bookmark   April 30, 2011 at 10:00AM
WendyB(5A/MA)

I got one at The Mixed Border in Hollis NH in 2004 and two more at Lake St Garden Center in Salem NH in 2006. They all match so they were labelled correctly. I had to prune a lot to get all 3 to be similar size and it worked. They are quite stunning this year if I do say so myself. Well, a neighbor said so too. She asked if her kids could have a professional picture done with them as a background. I told her to hurry.

Bookmark   April 30, 2011 at 3:45PM
mrtulin

does Weston Nurseries really not have them?
mt

Bookmark   April 30, 2011 at 9:06PM
WendyB(5A/MA)

Westons shows them in their online database, although that may or may not mean they are available.

A search for Azalea mucronulatom 'Cornell Pink' showed Mahoneys too.

Good chance, however, that any availability would be limited during bloom time. How could they not sell out when in bloom so early in the season?

Also saw hits from whiteflowerfarm and forestfarm.com

Bookmark   April 30, 2011 at 10:42PM
ginny12

Yes, I have learned not to trust online reports of what nurseries have unless their business is entirely online. I would like to buy locally as mail-order shrubs are too small for my purpose. Guess I'll just have to get on the phone and in the car tho I'm trying to avoid using gas. Would rather spend $ on plants.

Bookmark   May 1, 2011 at 2:12PM
mrtulin

Yes, I know if you call Weston they'll check, even if they have to go out to the fields, then dig and hold it for you. C

Bookmark   May 1, 2011 at 7:43PM
WendyB(5A/MA)

I called Weston's on Wednesday with a list of plants I wanted and I am still waiting for a return call/email.

You do know there is a new Weston's in Chelmsford, right? I don't know if that's closer for you. I'm sure they get stock regularly from Hopkinton.

Bookmark   May 1, 2011 at 8:20PM
mrtulin

Yes, I do know there's one in Chelmsford, but forgot it when I wrote. Off to Chelmsford I go!!!! If I go soon and see a Cornell Pink, I'll let you know, tho I hope you've heard by then. I few years ago I called with a hope you have list. They were very busy and it did take time for them to call back, but they did.

Bookmark   May 6, 2011 at 12:39AM
More Discussions
Any Senior Housing with Gardening Amenity?
Mom will not give up her house unless she can continue...
ahassel4u
Tropical Houseplants in CT
Besides Logee's, are there any other nurseries that...
javaandjazz
How do I add a zone to my user name?
I've been trying to edit my profile in "Your Houzz"...
claireplymouth z6b coastal MA
Conservation District Sales and State Nurseries
You all know what time of year it is. It's the time...
edlincoln
No spray cherry, apple, and pear tree recommendations?
I have larger area of my yard, where at some point...
agurkas
Sponsored Products
Contemporary Indoor/Outdoor Braided Area Rug: Colonial Mills Rugs Blokburst Tea
Home Depot
Missoni Home | Providence Pouf
YLiving.com
Legendary Jewelry Holder - Pink
$57.99 | Dot & Bo
Radiant Orchid Hot Pink Colorblock Double Gourd Lamp
Lamps Plus
Ridgely Studio Works | Spiral Nest Cluster 3 Light Chandelier
$930.00 | YLighting