Wild Bloodroot

defrost49April 8, 2010

Another joyous event in addition to spring peepers is when I see wild bloodroot. It started blooming a few days ago on a steep, wet bank between the road and a farmer's hayfield. I don't know how many years I drove past that spot before I noticed the flowers. They close up at night and when it's overcast.

Forsythia is blooming extravagantly right now as well as the traditional spring daffodils. Are there any wildflowers in your neighborhood that bloom this early?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
diggingthedirt

Not a native, but Hairy Bittercress, Cardamine hirsuta is actually really cute, in flower right now. I'm trying to eradicate it and this may be the year I use corn gluten meal on it ...

Will have to go check my bloodroot - it's in a woodsy corner of my garden and the minor bulbs are stealing the show, as usual at this time of year. That may explain why I rarely notice the flowers - and they certainly are sweet.

One of my favorite understated shrubs that's blooming now is wintersweet - Chimonanthus (praecox, I think, but maybe another variety). It's such a lovely creamy yellow; I'll have to go take a photo because it's hard to describe. It's next to a screaming pink Rhododendron mucronulatum, but I don't have the heart to move either of them because I love the early color so much.

Here is a link that might be useful: hairy bittercress

Bookmark   April 9, 2010 at 9:14AM
More Discussions
Deer resistant evergreen shrub
Was wondering if you have any suggestions for an evergreen...
BloominOnion
What are your favorite fruit/vegetable varieties for New England?
I'm curious as to which varieties of each fruit and...
laschai
Seeds & Plants on Sale, Locally? Online Catalog Sales?
Finally starting to feel like the growing season is...
prairiemoon2 z6 MA
Any Block Island gardeners here?
I've never seen any postings from anyone gardening...
bill_ri_z6b
Seaweed as mulch
I am thinking of using seaweed as mulch or add to my...
dwyerkg
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™