PEEPERS I hear em! 2014

ontheteam(5a-6 (S.Eastern, MA))April 2, 2014

It really might be Spring after all. I was outside potting up the donated "Tiny dino " Asiatic lillys that were donated for the plant sale and I heard em!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
claireplymouth z6b coastal MA

Terrific!! I added it to the First spring peeper reports in New England FAQ. I'll go across the street tonight and listen to see if any peeps are coming from the pond down the hill.

Claire

Bookmark   April 2, 2014 at 1:30PM
mjc_molie(z6 CT)

Miss the peepers near my first house... LOVED their sounds, especially driving up our road near the wetlands. Their chorus would get louder and louder as my car got closer. One of nature's best sounds.

Molie

Bookmark   April 2, 2014 at 1:59PM

I heard wood frogs today as I drove near the local marsh in Plymouth (Ellisville), MA Zone 6b with my windows down.
wood frog call

The peepers should call within a few days (none last night).

Claire

Bookmark   April 3, 2014 at 3:04PM

And this is what a spring peeper looks like.

spring peeper call

Claire

This post was edited by claire on Thu, Apr 3, 14 at 15:16

Bookmark   April 3, 2014 at 3:11PM
diggerdee zone 6 CT

Ooh, I'll have to keep an ear out for them! Always fun to hear them that first night!

Bookmark   April 3, 2014 at 3:44PM
bebe_ct(6a)

Heard 'em on Yesterday in Westport, and then today in Redding. Love those little guys!!!

Bookmark   April 3, 2014 at 5:52PM
rockman50(6b SEMASS)

Claire: I heard them Sunday night, March 30th here in Dartmouth on the south coast. The heavy flooding rain really brought them out.

Bookmark   April 3, 2014 at 7:30PM

FAQ updated.

None here yet, I just went out to listen.

Claire

Bookmark   April 3, 2014 at 8:12PM
diggingthedirt

I haven't heard them yet, but the ospreys are back!

For the first time (in known history) they are on the Cape Cod beaches along with the yearling snowy owls, who are gearing up to make the trek north. The ospreys object - strenuously! - to the snowy owls being on their beaches, and are harassing them mercilessly.

There are some great sequences of photos of the two species interacting - if I can remember where I saw this, I'll post a link.

Bookmark   April 3, 2014 at 9:49PM

DtD: I can imagine the outrage the ospreys are showing at coming back and finding snowy owls flitting around their beaches. And the herring should be running soon which will annoy them even more if the owls take the fish!

I heard a few isolated peepers singing tonight here in Plymouth (Ellisville), MA Zone 6b. Nowhere near a full chorus but it's still better than silence. The night time temperature is around 40 degrees which I've read is important to little frogs.

Claire

Bookmark   April 4, 2014 at 7:52PM
gardenweed_z6a

Haven't heard peepers here yet but have enjoyed listening to a hoot owl each evening the past few weeks. Saw a bunny down in the backyard yesterday & the deer have been scoping out the garden beds in recent days. :-(

Finches are beginning to sing their spring notes and I watched a he mourning dove chase a she mourning dove around under one of my bird feeders the other day which made me grin.

Bookmark   April 4, 2014 at 8:36PM

I went out to check for peepers tonight and I heard them from the porch! Not quite the full chorus but still lots of peepers singing (best heard from across the street).

It was a nice warm day today and I guess the chill is wearing off.

Claire

Bookmark   April 5, 2014 at 8:11PM
bebe_ct(6a)

Peepers in New Fairfield and Sherman today. :)

Bookmark   April 6, 2014 at 7:20PM

Added to FAQ.

Claire

Bookmark   April 6, 2014 at 7:55PM
diggerdee zone 6 CT

Peepers in Shelton CT tonight!

Unfortunately, there may be one less little frog in the world. I was driving home from work about 9pm, and as I passed the pond, I suddenly thought, ooh! I have to listen for peepers! I rolled down the window and listened, and heard nothing. Disappointed, I rolled the window back up and as I looked back up at the road there was a little frog hopping across my path! Yikes! I swerved - yes indeed, I swerved for a tiny frog - my DH would have killed me if he was in the car with me! - but not sure if I missed it, poor thing. Hopefully it was so tiny I missed it, but I swear it was right in the path of my left tire....

200 feet down the road I parked and got out and heard peepers! Couldn't for the life of me figure out why I didn't hear them near the pond, which is their usual hangout, but still I was glad to hear them, although my happiness was tempered by the thought of that poor little frog....

Bookmark   April 7, 2014 at 9:55PM

FAQ updated.

Of course you swerved for a frog, Dee, it was the right thing to do! And we New Englanders have gotten good at swerving to avoid potholes this year, so your skills are probably excellent. You almost certainly missed it.

Claire

Bookmark   April 8, 2014 at 9:45AM
Thyme2dig NH Zone 5

I was excited to be at the Manchester, NH airport watching planes this evening and the peepers were out in force! Woo Hoo! Spring is here!!

Bookmark   April 8, 2014 at 8:18PM

FAQ updated.

I'm picturing a line of peepers waiting to go through check-in at the airport.....

Claire

Bookmark   April 8, 2014 at 8:28PM
squirejohn zone4 VT

The wood frogs showed up this AM. Yesterday our pond was 90% ice covered and today 90% ice free. The peepers can't be too far behind.

Bookmark   April 22, 2014 at 8:30AM

Wood frogs on Earth Day, a good sign, squirejohn.
FAQ updated

Claire

Bookmark   April 22, 2014 at 10:12AM
NHBabs(4b-5aNH)

I was out of town, but DH said that the peepers started on Wednesday or Thursday, 4/16 or 4/17. One of these days I want to get an instrument that measures decibels, since one of our larger wet spots is so loud that it is almost painful to be near.

Bookmark   April 22, 2014 at 9:47PM

FAQ updated.

There were several articles on bostonglobe.com this morning about acceptable noise in restaurants. It would be interesting to know where your peepers fit into that spectrum.

Claire

Bookmark   April 23, 2014 at 8:48AM
defrost49

nhbabs, I think that was about the time I first started hearing them. The noise was faint but has increased in decibels. Now I can hear them as I drive near wet areas even with the windows closed.

Bookmark   April 25, 2014 at 8:11AM

defrost49's report added to FAQ.

Claire

Bookmark   April 25, 2014 at 9:41AM
squirejohn zone4 VT

Peepers today - finally!

Bookmark   April 29, 2014 at 6:08PM

FAQ updated

Well, they sure took their own sweet time, squirejohn, but at least they're there and singing.

Claire

Bookmark   April 29, 2014 at 7:59PM
diggerdee zone 6 CT

Too funny last night. I was driving home from work, and rolled down the window at the usual spots to listen to the peepers. When I passed one usual spot, I swear there was one peeper - ONE. Just one. It sounded so weird and kind of silly, to just hear the one little guy. The other usual spots were hopping (no pun intended) but that one spot just had that one little peeper - with a big voice.

:)
Dee

Bookmark   April 29, 2014 at 10:41PM
More Discussions
Something to brighten up this horrible winter
I was in Palm Springs a couple of weeks ago. Maybe...
bill_ri_z6b
Climbing hydrangea question
Green gardener here. This is kind of a silly question...
c_ coy 7aMA
How do I add a zone to my user name?
I've been trying to edit my profile in "Your Houzz"...
Show Us Your Gardens - A Photo Thread -February 2015
Happy Snow Days New England Gardeners! Welcome to the...
pixie_lou
How to change houzz background
I just saw this on another forum: http://forums2.gardenweb.com/discussions/2854079/installing-stylish-to-change-houzz-background#14392444 It...
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™