Hummingbirds and Mantids

pretty_ize(z5 Ohio)April 28, 2006

hello,

I have a couple of questions. I live near Dayton Ohio and I have yet to see a Hummingbird. Last year they were already here. Has anyone in my area seen one yet or is it too early? Also can someone tell me when Prayis Mantis egg sacks are supposed to hatch? I have a couple of them and I just wanted to know. Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardeningfireman(5-NEOhio)

I haven't seen any yet in the Akron area, but I did see a Red Admiral butterfly! The hummers will probably be back in the next week or two. I have a mantis eggcase too. I think they hatch sometime in May, when the nights aren't as cold. Unless you do what I did once as a kid; I left one in the living room and the eggs hatched in March!! My parents were not very pleased!
GardeningFireman

Bookmark   April 28, 2006 at 9:26PM
bakemom_gw(z6 Central Ohio)

I live in Columbus and have only seen a hummer once in 8 years. I live in the city with a golf course nearby. I do have a ton of praying mantis with nests all around my garden and don't expect to see them for several weeks yet.

Bookmark   April 29, 2006 at 6:24PM
storygardener(5/6 central oh)

I haven't seen any hummers yet. I start to see them in my yard late May or Early June when they come to feast on the nector of the red flowers of my heuchera (until the bunnies eat them!)

Bookmark   April 30, 2006 at 12:03PM
garden_elf(z6 No.Ky)

Try checking out this website:

http://www.hummingbirds.net/index.html

On the left side of the site you can click on migration maps and find where this years hummers have been sited.

Bookmark   May 1, 2006 at 8:54AM
gardeningfireman(5-NEOhio)

I saw a hummer yesterday in Richfield(Summit County)! She was hovering by the suet.

Bookmark   May 5, 2006 at 2:43PM
More Discussions
Blue Spruce trees dying
Was there some kind of fungus or something that killed...
lindaw-cincy
Knock Out Roses - slow to come to life in Central Ohio
Hi All - My knock out roses are barely showing signs...
pauladd1963
Moving to KY
Hello! We're moving to KY (Owensboro) from that Dallas...
Marie79
Small upright shade bush
I have a small shade space on the north side next to...
Carol7853
pumpkin patch
my pumpkin patch started out really good but as it...
DarleneJ
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™