Need help, info more...

nkrzApril 20, 2008

I live in Southeast Ohio and I wanted to know if anyone else around here has this problem. My husband and I have noticed that when it rains, we get these dark greenish brown worms that just congregate to our concrete driveway, and even climb in under our garage door to get to our garage. The worst thing about these worms is the smell they give off. They are a small thin worm, but they are a really big pain when it rains. Any other time I never see them. I just wondered if anyone knows what these worms are called so I can know what to do with them.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana(zone 5/6)

Hi nkrc,

I too have a bit of a worm problem at different times of the year. They get on my concrete carport. They do that when we have had much rain, and the soil is totally saturated. They are merely heading to higher ground to keep from drowning. There is really nothing that can be done, other than trying to provide some drainage, so they won't be forced to go to higher ground.

Mine end up dying on the carport, as I don't go out and get them and put them somewhere where they can survive. Possibly they are near death or dying by the time they find the higher ground. I have thought many times that I should gather them while they ar still alive, and put them in the garden spot, or a flower bed, but just have not made or taken the time to do that when it is raining out, or shortly after it quits. Subsequently, most die, dry out, stick to the concrete, and then have to be scraped up later. They won't just sweep off...sigh...

I've not noticed the color of mine particularly, or that they stink, but then mine are in the open air. Dead worms do stick though...remembering many a bait box with dead worms in it.

Sue

Bookmark   April 21, 2008 at 10:39AM
More Discussions
Fleur de Lis Festival Louisville KY
May 26-27 at Waterfront Park, Louisville. May 26 hours...
kydaylilylady
When is the Fall 2014 Plant Swap, please help :)
I wrote down info for the wrong plant swap, the one...
KatsPlants
Coneflowers turning black
My purple coneflowers are turning black and breaking...
jenrog
WANTED: To trade with Licking County Resident, Newark, Heath, Heb
I'm looking for a local resident of Licking County,...
KatsPlants
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™