Where to get good compost Elizabethtown, KY??

mickee311April 17, 2007

I am a desperate soul for some compost. I can't afford to use 50 million bags of soil from Lowe's and all that, it would cost me almost 300 bucks to fill the bed I'm building. I'm not looking to spend a fortune on the filler for my beds. I can't find any info on where to get compost in this area. The garden centers in the area only have topsoil. Not as nutrient rich as I would need for my veggies. And before anyone tells me to just make my own and how easy it is, I don't have the resources to do so, nor do I have that kind of time. Am I doomed to use topsoil from the local nursery?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kydaylilylady(z6 KY)

Have you checked with the E-town city government? Some of the cities, like in Louisville and Frankfort collect the leaves, etc. and sell compost in the spring. In fact they were advertising the Operation Brightside selling compost I think last weekend on WHAS. Some of the local nurseries may also sell by the truckload which is much cheaper than bags. Call the hort agent there in E-town. Can't remember her name, Amy, I think, but she does Master Gardener stuff and surely should have an inside track on good sources.

Janet

Bookmark   April 17, 2007 at 1:43PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mickee311

I called and they said they have compost, but it's not the best, according to them. I'll still go look and probably get it anyway, it looks like it's my only option. Plus, it's free, which is always good.

Bookmark   April 19, 2007 at 5:34PM
More Discussions
Honeydew
Anybody out there have some honeydew plants that could...
Kobolt
Ground Cover
I'm looking for a low growing ground cover (preferably...
calendar
Anyone Growing 'Knock-Out' Roses. Recommendations?
So, if you are growing the "Knock-Out" roses,...
jmcbackyarddigger
Fleur de Lis Festival Louisville KY
May 26-27 at Waterfront Park, Louisville. May 26 hours...
kydaylilylady
Losing my Husker Red penstemon...
...to my cat! What is it with Husker Red penstemon...
alison
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™