Wine grape growers?

boizeau(7a)February 13, 2010

I am a hobby Wine grape grower in the South Sound area. Would love to hear from other wine grape hobbyists and trade notes on what has made good wine, and what has not.

My specialty is muscat white, but I do also have a row of 'red' wine grapes.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
muddydogs

Wine maker's may prefer buying grapes from out of the area.
Cause their crops aren't good enough. That's one dead industry.

Bookmark   February 15, 2010 at 10:38PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ian_wa(Sequim)

Not really. Bainbridge Island Vineyards and Winery grow all their own wine grapes on Bainbridge Island. Their selection of red wines/grapes is a bit lacking as a result, but I think it's fair to say that they have a bright future in western Washington. Hardier and more cool-climate adapted wine grapes are continually being bred and improved on throughout the temperate regions of the world, especially in Germany... and with BI Winery and others experimenting with them, and a continual push towards using increasingly local products in all food/beverage markets, it probably won't be long before more of these catch on and enjoy wider use west of the Cascades. The major obstacles I can think of are breeders' patent rights making them unavailable to home gardeners and experimenters without a lot of capital, and the difficulty of importing new cultivars for trial from out of the country. The same goes for kiwifruit.

Bookmark   February 15, 2010 at 11:54PM
More Discussions
Anyone "wintersowing" tomatoes in the PNW?
I wintersow/spring sow everything else and have for...
nonconformist_nymphette
Raised Beds/seed starts
We have 2 raised beds we put in last year in our front...
FireMidget
Does soil "wear out"?
I have two gardening friends who don't know each other...
dottyinduncan
Holy aphids Batman!
With the arctic freeze moving on, I went out yesterday...
Bear999
Camelia question.
We have a camelia ten years old - looked great in the...
dwightgibb
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™