Bev's Husker Red!

alison(6b/OH)April 28, 2006

I know I post a lot of pictures, but -- it's the whole reason I got this little camera phone! Everyday it seems something beautiful catches my eye and I can't wait to share it!

This is a Husker Red penstemon I got from storygardener at the Hilliard swap spring 2004. I liked it so much I got another one from her the following year. It has pretty spires of white flowers on long dark stems in mid-summer, but I think the foliage is outstanding all by itself. It's evergreen, but does look a little shopworn by the end of winter. This is the 2-year-old plant as it starts to perk up in the spring. Handsome little devil, isn't it?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
storygardener(5/6 central oh)

My Grandplant - What a pretty plant, indeed. (spoken like a true "Grandma"!) I love them. I have about 8 of them potted up for the swap. (they reseed). I too, love the color of the foiliage as much as the flowers.

Thanks for posting this. I often wonder who gets what and then how the plants grow (or not) after the swap.

Nice picture, Alison. To think that neat photo comes from a camera cell phone. I'll have to get one of those phones next time!

Bookmark   April 29, 2006 at 7:15AM
bakemom_gw(z6 Central Ohio)

Wonderful! This is one of my favorite plants although the seeds smell like feet in the fall.

I have sown a bunch this winter for fall gifts and have a bunch of mature divisions for swap this spring. Three cheers for Penstemon and Beverly!

Bookmark   April 29, 2006 at 6:20PM
storygardener(5/6 central oh)

Bakemom...since I leave my Red Husker to self sow, I've never smelled the seeds. So sorry to have missed the smell of feet!! Funny!

Bookmark   April 29, 2006 at 9:19PM
More Discussions
What is this vine?
I would love to know what this vine is. it has came...
rhondals_2006
Losing my Husker Red penstemon...
...to my cat! What is it with Husker Red penstemon...
alison
pumpkin patch
my pumpkin patch started out really good but as it...
DarleneJ
lilac bush
hello. we have some lilac bushes that are several years...
Ron_b.
Ground Cover
I'm looking for a low growing ground cover (preferably...
calendar
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™