can we plant nectarines and apricots here and get fruit?

kygirl99April 24, 2007

I already planted a nectarine tree and wanted an apricot tree, too. I called the deer run nursery in bagdad and the guy who answered said he doesn't carry them because he never gets fruit from apricots or from nectarines. he said they always bloom too early and then the frost gets them.

is this true? I wasn't able to grow apricots in so. calif. because it was too warm in the winter without enough nights of cold temps. but nectarines did great there. what about here? should I pull up the one I planted? Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
wish2okc

Sorry I can't help you. Why don't you try this on the Fruit & Orchard forum. Bet you can get an answer there.

Bookmark   April 27, 2007 at 7:35AM
kydaylilylady(z6 KY)

Hey, if you've already planted something why pull it out? You might be in a micro climate and it'll do fine.
Besides, we often loose peaches here too but that doesn't stop us from planting the trees and totally enjoying peaches the years we get them.

Janet

Bookmark   April 27, 2007 at 8:44AM
diggerb2(z5oh)

i would say yes you can grow both in kentucky. be sure you don't plant your trees in a frost pocket. there were apricot trees all around my appartment complex in Aurora, ILL-- west of chicago-- that often set fruit-- they were small but very tasty and made great jam. but i think they were planted for ornamental reasons.

like janet said, you get to enjoy fruit when the trees set fruit. but you still get flower displays if they don't.

you should try to buy from a mail-order source like starks.

diggerb

Bookmark   May 2, 2007 at 2:28PM
handy60

This is an old thread, but I'll post anyway. Yes you can grow apricots in Kentucky. I live in south central part of the state and my apricot tree is bending under a load of beautiful fruit this year. I do spray for insects.

Bookmark   June 13, 2010 at 1:41PM
More Discussions
lilac bush
hello. we have some lilac bushes that are several years...
Ron_b.
Fleur de Lis Garden Club Booth
Hello to any Louisvillians out there. Wanted to point...
highlandsgardener
Livingston seeds
Does anyone in the Columbus area know who still sells...
Photobug
Fleur de Lis Festival Louisville KY
May 26-27 at Waterfront Park, Louisville. May 26 hours...
kydaylilylady
Coneflowers turning black
My purple coneflowers are turning black and breaking...
jenrog
Sponsored Products
Slamp | Cactus XXL Floor Lamp
YLighting
Lemon 1.5-Qt. Colander
$13.99 | zulily
Log Cabin Serving Tray
$89.99 | Dot & Bo
Five-foot Sweet Bay Ball Topiary Silk Tree
Overstock.com
Max Bill Wall Clock with Lines by Junghans
$480.00 | Lumens
Safavieh Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Safavieh Rugs Bohemian Rust 9 ft. x 12 ft.
Home Depot
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™