can we start seeds outside in central ohio right now?

lynbornmanApril 23, 2007

Specifically things like morning glory and moonvine? I know we are no where near past our frost date, but the soil is certainly warm. Just wondering if I can stick these seeds out yet or if its best to wait. thanks,Lyn

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bakemom_gw(z6 Central Ohio)

You can sow them in containers using the winter sowing method. I would suggest soaking the seed first over night. If you start them in something like a milk jug, they will be protected or at least portable if this spring continues to freak on it.

Bookmark   April 24, 2007 at 10:20PM
katielovesdogs(z5b/6a Indiana)

Morning glory will be fine. You could throw the seeds out in the middle of the winter and they would be fine. In fact, I had morning glory planted at my house by the previous owner. I moved in four years ago, and I still have to pull it out every spring. The seeds are tough!

Bookmark   April 28, 2007 at 11:27AM
bakemom_gw(z6 Central Ohio)

It's not a matter of sowing, it's a matter of germination. Iopomoea seeds are tough and self sows very nicely. However, if we have an unusual warm spell followed by a freeze, they will easily germinate and get zapped. Seeds will be fine, but seedlings will be killed. If you have a ton of seed and want to direct sow - go for it. If you have some purchased seed you have your heart set on, consider being more conservative.

Bookmark   April 28, 2007 at 5:18PM
More Discussions
When is the Fall 2014 Plant Swap, please help :)
I wrote down info for the wrong plant swap, the one...
KatsPlants
Fleur de Lis Festival Louisville KY
May 26-27 at Waterfront Park, Louisville. May 26 hours...
kydaylilylady
Voles, Field Mice or Chipmunk!?
Hello! I keep seeing this tiny 'mouse' like rodent...
ClevelandGreenThumb
Losing my Husker Red penstemon...
...to my cat! What is it with Husker Red penstemon...
alison
Coneflowers turning black
My purple coneflowers are turning black and breaking...
jenrog
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™