Pieris varieties

anenemityApril 29, 2011

I would like to plant a pieris japonica shrub at the northeast corner of my house, but I'm having trouble deciding what variety. There are 4 varieties that I can get locally: Mountain Fire, Pink Flamingo, Flaming Silver, and Red Head. I'd like something that will be about 6 feet tall, but every website I visit gives conflicting information regarding mature height. Does anyone have any of these varieties that can speak from personal experience? Or perhaps there is a particular website that you trust as being more reliable?

FYI, my soil is moist but well-drained, slightly acidic. My house has a brick foundation and so should not cause any issues with concrete leaching. There is, however, a nearby concrete sidewalk, though it has been in place for at least 30 years. This spot gets morning sun - about 8 am until about one - and afternoon shade.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
raee_gw

I'm sorry no one has been able to answer you. I've no experience--I have planted pieris, but it always has died.

If you haven't tried the OSU extension site, do. I think they would be the most reliable for how it will do in Ohio. Dave's Garden is another, with gardeners reporting their own experiences with a plant.

Bookmark   June 9, 2011 at 10:38PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dlbk(6a)

Go with Mountain Fire. I've had it in my foundation for 20+ years and keep it pruned to 6-7'. The new foliage is beautiful red and it flowers nicely too. It makes a very nice foundation planting.

Bookmark   September 10, 2011 at 12:59PM
More Discussions
Voles, Field Mice or Chipmunk!?
Hello! I keep seeing this tiny 'mouse' like rodent...
ClevelandGreenThumb
Little Miami River Area
Hello everyone, I am very new here and very new to...
jekca
are there poisenous snakes in eastern kentucky??
i've been thinking about moving there for a afew years...
donnaz5
Ideas for School Playground
I am a teacher at a small independent school in Columbus,...
wackypack
Knock Out Roses - slow to come to life in Central Ohio
Hi All - My knock out roses are barely showing signs...
pauladd1963
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™