understory shrub

carl_2010February 14, 2010

my neighbors' backyard abuts and is 3 feet above mine. When I moved in I planted arbutus unedo along the top of that 3 foot wall. Now they are huge and beautiful but getting leggy and bare at the bottom and providing less privacy. I want to plant an understory shrub or something among them. Someone recommended Lonicera Nitida "Red Tips." It's pretty shady, dense clay soil under there with some morning and afternoon light.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Embothrium(USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA)

Soil can't be too terribly heavy and wet if arbutus live well in it. Is there any place to insert new shrubs without chopping through the sod-like roots of the arbutus? That would be tough going and the arbutus would not be likely to appreciate it.

Foliage on the ends with lower and interior sections opening up to reveal the bark is typical of arbutus. Maybe what you need to do instead of trying to fill in with additional planting is cutting occasional stems back periodically to induce new growth lower down. Be sure to read up on pruning of arbutus before doing anything major. Look at public libraries for books on pruning, in addition to searching the internet. It is usual for books on pruning and training of plants to have chapters detailing handling of specific plant genera, in your case it would be Arbutus.

A couple good ones are Brown/Kirkham, The Pruning of Trees, Shrubs and Conifers and Brickell/Joyce, The American Horticultural Society - Pruning & Training

Bookmark   February 18, 2010 at 1:42PM
More Discussions
Portland Yard Garden & Patio Show
Did anyone here ever attend that show and could give...
enith
Fertilizing flower bulbs (e.g., Daffodils)
I was listening to Ciscoe Morris' gardening radio show...
wynswrld98
Does soil "wear out"?
I have two gardening friends who don't know each other...
dottyinduncan
Growing Loquats in the PNW
I am posting this forum as I have not found a thread...
chitti
what to do here?
Thinking of planting native shrubs, salal, redtwig...
zephyrgal
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™