Knock Out Roses - slow to come to life in Central Ohio

pauladd1963May 7, 2014

Hi All -
My knock out roses are barely showing signs of life. Anyone else noticing this in Central Ohio?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rusty_blackhaw(6a)

There's a large curbside planting of Knockouts at my workplace (1-2 year-old transplants that grew and flowered vigorously last year).

At least half of them have produced no growth so far this spring. The rest are growing but generally have fewer shoots/progressing more slowly than last year. Apparently the hard winter has set them back and possibly killed some plants.

Bookmark   May 12, 2014 at 5:39PM
ivy2003(z5OH)

Hi,

I noticed the very same thing with my rose bushes.I see no sign of life at all including no buds.I'm in the cleveland area.I'm just patiently waiting.
Ivy2003,

Bookmark   May 21, 2014 at 8:38AM
aegis1000

The winter played havoc on all of my roses, especially the Knockouts.

I had 6-7 foot tall (and around) plants which I had to cut to the ground to get rid of all of the DEAD wood.

Your knockouts will, likely, grow back from the ground level, but you've got to get rid of the deadwood.

Bookmark   May 21, 2014 at 8:44AM
jofmec

South Eastern Ohio. My 3 Knock Out Roses are alive but with few blooms. Cut them back hard this spring. Will see what happens next spring.

Bookmark   July 22, 2014 at 9:56AM
janetkp(Z6 OH)

I lost 6 very large red knockout! Took me ages to dig them out, but they are now replaced --- fingers crossed. My neighbors were mortified when the roses died. They had a better view of them than I (^J^)

Bookmark   July 22, 2014 at 6:36PM
juleecat(z5 OH)

My knockouts looked terrible.....zero growth on 6 ft tall plants. They have thrived for 10 yrs! I cut them back to the ground, and by July, they had recovered and are now 4feet tall and wide, full of blossoms, and they look great! Yay! Last winter was brutal-hoping am nature takes it easy on us this winter!

Bookmark   September 20, 2014 at 5:29PM
More Discussions
Small upright shade bush
I have a small shade space on the north side next to...
Carol7853
Coneflowers turning black
My purple coneflowers are turning black and breaking...
jenrog
Blue Spruce trees dying
Was there some kind of fungus or something that killed...
lindaw-cincy
Moving to KY
Hello! We're moving to KY (Owensboro) from that Dallas...
Marie79
When is the Fall 2014 Plant Swap, please help :)
I wrote down info for the wrong plant swap, the one...
KatsPlants
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™