Bulbs identification

sharonramick12345May 24, 2007

I dug up a patch of ivy and I found 3 large bulbs (looks like an onion, but doesn't smell at all) and the leaves were very long, maybe 24". They have never flowered. I'm guessing the ivy had kept them from it. Anyway... is there a way to tell what type of plant this is without waiting for it to bloom... if it does at all.... next year???

thanks,

Sharon

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana(zone 5/6)

Big bulb, 24" long foliage sound like it might be a Lycoris Squamigera....aka Surprise Lily.

Were these at your house? Have you moved there recently that you 'found' them yet have not seen them flower?

If they are the Lycoris, then they send up the strap like foliage in the spring. It should be left to yellow and die back on its own. Usually sometime in Aug (I think) the lilies will send up stems with blooms.

I just measured the foliage on mine, and some of the longest ones are 26" and about 7/8" at the widest point.

The Lycoris resent being disturbed and will often require a season or two to settle in and all of them bloom. If you reset them right now, I doubt if they would bloom this Aug now.

You're coming to the Louisville Swap June 2nd...right? I could give you my opinion then if you care to bring one for show and tell.

Sue

Here is a link that might be useful: Lycoris squamigera (Nekkid Ladies)

Bookmark   May 24, 2007 at 2:51PM
More Discussions
Fleur de Lis Garden Club Booth
Hello to any Louisvillians out there. Wanted to point...
highlandsgardener
are there poisenous snakes in eastern kentucky??
i've been thinking about moving there for a afew years...
donnaz5
Pepper Plants and black Plastic
I have always wanted to have a nice crop of Pepper...
joetoe
Moving to KY
Hello! We're moving to KY (Owensboro) from that Dallas...
Marie79
Kwanza Cherry oozing sap
Have two 15' tall Kwanza cherry trees that bloomed...
judijerpen
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™