great garden centers?

surelyrose(z5OH)May 19, 2004

Traveling through central ohio -

Any one recommend any great garden centers? We were watching PBS (WOSU) a few weeks ago and saw something called Possum....Looked interesting. No idea what it was though...

HELP!?

surely

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bakemom_gw(z6 Central Ohio)

Baker's Acres in Alexandria Ohio! Number one in my book. In the metro area, Oakland Nursery just east of I-71 and north of east-north Broadway.

Bookmark   May 19, 2004 at 4:22PM
mrgpag

Look up Possumhaw and see if that's what they were talking about

Bookmark   May 19, 2004 at 7:53PM
MeMyselfAndI(5/6 central OH)

I think they were mentioning Possum Run Greenhouse, sorry I haven't been there.

Try this discussion, or this one for more ideas.

Bookmark   May 19, 2004 at 7:54PM
surelyrose(z5OH)

possum run! Thanks. Has anyone been there or knows anything about it? Looked interesting. . . never been to bakers acres either. someone was recently telling me about them too. something cute they do with a "menu" or something.

Bookmark   May 20, 2004 at 7:07PM
surelyrose(z5OH)

Has anyone been there? I looked Possum Run Greenhouse up on the web - Looks interesting. May head up that way this weekend . . . Not exactly sure what to expect. I just remember catching the tail end of their ad on WOSU - seemed interesting.

Bookmark   May 25, 2004 at 9:28AM
cecropia(z5 Oh)

I've never heard of it but am wondering if it's near Mansfield.There's a place called Possum Run Rd that is always colder than anywhere else in Ohio...which seemingly would not be a great place for a greenhouse.

Bookmark   May 25, 2004 at 2:38PM
surelyrose(z5OH)

It is! Certainly an odd place indeed. We're going up there this weekend....let you know about it.

Bookmark   May 26, 2004 at 9:24PM
surelyrose(z5OH)

GOODNESS!! THIS PLACE IS INCREDIBLE! OUr computer was broken most of the week - Was killing me to not tell everyone of Possum Run. GORGEOUS. Best looking plants and selection around. I mean around. I've been to Bakers Village, Straders, Plantland, & Oakland. Their selection is clean and beautiful. THey have a glass greenhouse that you can shop in - We picked up some beautiful containers there too...

I don't know where to start or stop. They have a just an place. Aside from Gardening - I love my trinkets. They have the Carolers...Byer's. just awesome displays in an old barn. nice the way they mingle antiques with their displays....

BRIDGE - WATERFALL! THEY FILL THE ROOM. WORDS CAN'T DESCRIBE.

YOU HAVE TO SEE FOR YOURSELF!

Bookmark   June 4, 2004 at 10:35AM
bakemom_gw(z6 Central Ohio)

Sounds wonderful! I might just schedule a little trip.

But, please don't mistake Baker's Village in Dublin with Baker's Acres in Alexandria - apples and oranges. I enjoy both - but the one in Dublin is more of a cute little boutique with nice plants. Baker's Acres in Alexandria is truly a gardener's dream with an incredible selection of hard to find plants - totally cool.

Straders has mixed reviews I use them for lawnmower and snow blower repair. Plantland is hit or miss for me although they have hort students there to answer questions.
I would rate Oakland higher for the knowledge of the employees and their answers to email questions, prompt and accurate. Plus, they did the bulk of my heavy landscaping and did a great job.

Bookmark   June 5, 2004 at 12:13AM
wakerry(z6a)

Here in Northern Ky (Florence) is a place called Reminiscent Herb Farm. They have an amazing selection on several acres.

Bookmark   June 8, 2004 at 9:54PM
tstrombotn(z5 OH)

I am from NW Columbus, but I love Dills in Canal Winchester, and go there everytime I get down that way. Now I'll have to check out this possum run place too!

Bookmark   July 15, 2004 at 2:23PM
More Discussions
When is the Fall 2014 Plant Swap, please help :)
I wrote down info for the wrong plant swap, the one...
KatsPlants
Coneflowers turning black
My purple coneflowers are turning black and breaking...
jenrog
Ground Cover
I'm looking for a low growing ground cover (preferably...
calendar
Kwanza Cherry oozing sap
Have two 15' tall Kwanza cherry trees that bloomed...
judijerpen
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™