Ants in figs

rainydaywoman_z8(8)February 27, 2012

Looks like I'm doing nothing but posting today! One of my fig trees is over-run with ants every summer, so much so that I cannot get any figs from this tree. Two trees in sunnier locations are not bothered. Is there anything I can do to keep them off the tree?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
oliveoyl3

You could try some of these ideas:

-tanglefoot, sticky stuff on a band of heavy paper wrapped around the trunk (or purchase the trunk banding paper I've seen at Fred Meyer on clearance lately) -- ants stick to it while trying to climb up trunk to get to figs

-metal flashing or something as slippery barrier or coat with petroleum jelly to prevent ants crossing over it

The ants might be going for aphids, so if you plant nasturtiums nearby they will attract the aphids instead of the fig tree.

Bookmark   February 28, 2012 at 2:18PM
rainydaywoman_z8(8)

Thx for the ideas; I'll follow up. This fig tree is planted against a storage shed, and my ant-less figs are out in the open. Guess I was thinking the ants might be leaping off the roof of the shed into the upper branches! Maybe hanging by their little antennae while scrambling for a foothold. So Tanglefoot sounds good to me.

Bookmark   February 29, 2012 at 8:01PM
larry_gene

Most likely the ants are nesting under the shed and climbing the handier nearby fig.

Bookmark   February 29, 2012 at 11:59PM
More Discussions
evergreens for by gate
I have a couple of Columnar Dwarf Siberian Dogwood...
hallerlake
Anyone growing Tiger Eye Sumac?
Rhus typhina ÂBailtigerÂ. I'm thinking that this...
dottyinduncan
What is good lilac to grow in North Seattle area?
My mom died last week. She liked smell of lilac flower. My...
briergardener_gw
Portland Yard Garden & Patio Show
Did anyone here ever attend that show and could give...
enith
Camelia question.
We have a camelia ten years old - looked great in the...
dwightgibb
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™