Hebe bit the dust- replacement?

drcindy(z8 WA)February 27, 2009

I was very disappointed to see my established 4' Hebe "Great Orne" is completely dead; it was such a nice shrub with such beautiful flowers. But I guess this now gives me the opportunity to replace it with something else. The area is south facing in a raised bed against the house, and actually right against my dining room window (though we rarely eat in there). There is a small pink blooming butterly bush on the side, but that is it. Like the Hebe, I would LOVE to have something evergreen and it couldn't get any bigger than the Hebe was. Flowers would be an additional bonus. Any suggestions? TIA!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Embothrium(USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA)

The large-leaved hebes such as 'Great Orme' tend to be tender. However, there are other kinds with smaller leaves that have lower minimum temperatures. Maybe you should look at some of those.

Bookmark   February 27, 2009 at 11:37PM
gardengal48

I'd replant with another hebe :-) Recognizing these plants are semi-tender at best, they are not overly expensive, grow rapidly, flower for an extended period and will survive maybe 4 out of 6 winters, perhaps longer. Not a bad investment all in all. My 'Amy' or 'Alicia Amherst' (I think they are pretty much interchangeable) apparently succumbed this winter as well but I've had it for about 6 or 7 years and enjoyed its flowering from late summer well into winter nearly all of those years.

Smaller leafed hebes do tend to be more cold tolerant but they also tend to be not as floriferous as the larger leafed forms.

Bookmark   February 28, 2009 at 11:40AM
hvaldez(7)

I also have a couple of hebe that look terrible and also looking for a replacement. So far there is some new growth but I don't think it will look nearly as full and bushy for some time. I think I will transplant it to another part of the garden to see if it survives and replace it with something else. Look forward to the suggestions.

Bookmark   March 7, 2009 at 1:10PM
More Discussions
Ideas for ground cover and evergreen shrubs?
Have been cleaning up a landscape that had been neglected...
westseattledeb
soil stablization
I live in the mountains of southern oregon where it...
Shaun Brink
Groundcover for moist shade
I live in Portland and I Am looking for a low growing...
Karenseb
overgrown everything! eek!
I just moved into a place that has not been taken care...
wolfewindflower
Grape hobbyists in Olympia Area?
I am looking for a home for a few hybrid grapes. Lost...
David
Sponsored Products
WAC Modern Forms | Glacier 21in Wall Light
$319.00 | YLighting
Comforter Storage Bags (Set of 3)
Overstock.com
Photocell 15 3/4 Inch Coach Light -Black
$55.10 | Bellacor
Contemporary Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Chandra Rugs Core Shag Brown/Cream 7 ft.
Home Depot
iRobot Roomba 560 Accessories Replacement Kit
$39.50 | FRONTGATE
Colored Butterflies Square Lamp Shade 11x11x9.5 (Spider)
$59.91 | Lamps Plus
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™