Spirea damage - drought?

bakemom_gw(z6 Central Ohio)May 20, 2008

This spring my spirea have a lot of dead branches - no leaves. It's true in several spots in my yard. Could this be the result of last summer's drought? Same with my japanese red maple too.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana(zone 5/6)

I've got the same thing on a holly bush/tree, a crepe myrtle, and a butterfly bush. The latter 2 just have leaves in spots on the branches and I've never seen that before. The drought (and me not watering anything) is the only thing I can imagine it being.

Sue

Bookmark   May 21, 2008 at 6:12PM
lyn_r(z6 OH)

My spirea look the same and I do believe it is from the drought last summer. Most of my other shrubs that survived also suffered damage. Two young Japanese red maples did not survive the drought, although the two older ones came through just fine.

Very few of my perennial flowers came back this year even though I watered faithfully. SOOOOO heartbreaking to look at the bare ground and think of all the work that went into it.

Lyn in Portsmouth

Bookmark   May 22, 2008 at 12:30PM
alison(6b/OH)

Could be. The spirea that blanket the front of our apartment building seem to be thriving, but that's probably just because I hate them and want them gone.... ;)

Bookmark   June 2, 2008 at 1:43PM
More Discussions
When is the Fall 2014 Plant Swap, please help :)
I wrote down info for the wrong plant swap, the one...
KatsPlants
WANTED: To trade with Licking County Resident, Newark, Heath, Heb
I'm looking for a local resident of Licking County,...
KatsPlants
Anyone Growing 'Knock-Out' Roses. Recommendations?
So, if you are growing the "Knock-Out" roses,...
jmcdmd
Coneflowers turning black
My purple coneflowers are turning black and breaking...
jenrog
lilac bush
hello. we have some lilac bushes that are several years...
Ron_b.
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™