Persimmon trees in Seattle area

NormKeegelFebruary 24, 2013

Anybody have experience of growing persimmons near Seattle (I'm on Bainbridge Island, if that makes any difference)?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Embothrium(USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA)

Adapted cultivars of Asian persimmons are your best bet. From the web site of Arthur Lee Jacobson > Articles > Trees That Merit Planting in Seattle:

Diospyros Kaki ---Kaki Persimmon
Troublefree, colorful eastern Asian fruit tree. Glossy, bold foliage. Orange edible fruit in winter, resembles tomatoes clinging to the bare branches

A few Seattle area streets have older Asian persimmons that have grown pretty big. See Jacobson's book Trees of Seattle - Second Edition for their locations.

Local garden centers have regularly stocked these for some years now.

Here is a link that might be useful: 2013 Fruit Trees

This post was edited by bboy on Sun, Feb 24, 13 at 21:32

Bookmark   February 24, 2013 at 9:20PM
NormKeegel

Thanks for the brief message, bboy. Have you actually grown them near Seattle? If so, what were the challenges and how did you overcome them?

Bookmark   February 24, 2013 at 9:29PM
Bradybb(wa8)

Saijo is the only Asian variety that Raintree Nursery says were able to ripen for them.
From their website,Meader does well in cool Summers.
I have not grown Persimmon though. Brady

Bookmark   February 25, 2013 at 12:30AM

Raintree is way out there, with a mountain right above.

Bookmark   February 25, 2013 at 12:23PM
gardengal48

Persimmons do very well here. As bboy states, most local retail nurseries sell them. The issue is with getting them to ripen properly, not always a guarantee in our cool summers. Much like figs in that regard.......a semi-protected, heat reflective location is best. Fuyu is the most commonly sold type but there are varieties of Fuyu that ripen earlier than others. Look for Matsumoto or Jiro.

ps. Valley Nursery in Poulsbo will be carrying Jiro......stock should be up to proper levels mid-March or so.

Bookmark   February 26, 2013 at 4:52PM
winsorw(8)

Just to share my experience. I live in Auburn and have one Fuyu, last year I have 9 fruits after 4 years of growing. I harvested them in late December when they were mostly green for fear of freezing and place them on windowsill until they turned orange. They were quit good. I planted Saijo and jiro last year.

Bookmark   March 4, 2013 at 10:07PM
PRO
George Three LLC

i have one fuyu here in portland. it has never flowered or fruited after 4 years. i started with a good sized tree as well, grafted.

great leaves, great fall foliage. nice medium sized tree. responds to pruning decently well.

Bookmark   March 4, 2013 at 11:04PM

Maybe the pruning is interfering with flowering and fruiting.

Bookmark   March 4, 2013 at 11:31PM
larry_gene

In most years, the various American and Asian persimmons I see in Portland fruit well and ripen on-tree, another example of our summer climate advantage compared to Seattle.

Bookmark   March 5, 2013 at 12:03AM
PRO
George Three LLC

don't think i haven't considered my pruning as fruit destroying. i am still on the high end of normal for no fruit or flowers though, so i am erring on the side of making a nice tree with easy to reach fruit.

Bookmark   March 6, 2013 at 1:30PM
More Discussions
Aspirin and fig rust
Recently, I visited my brother in Thailand and he has...
winsorw
Raised Beds/seed starts
We have 2 raised beds we put in last year in our front...
FireMidget
OK to plant garlic in February in Portland, OR?
Would it make sense to plant garlic in February in...
LanaRoma
Fertilizing flower bulbs (e.g., Daffodils)
I was listening to Ciscoe Morris' gardening radio show...
wynswrld98
Camelia question.
We have a camelia ten years old - looked great in the...
dwightgibb
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™