What is this vine?

rhondals_2006(6B)May 7, 2014

I would love to know what this vine is. it has came up for years by an old building in our town. I always liked it. It doesn't seem to be invasive since it's been there for YEARS and hasn't covered the lot. It vines up the old building. Any ideas would be appreciated.
I would be interested in it if I knew it wasn't poison of some sort. Thank You

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Acadiafun

Parthenocissus quinquefolia, aka Virginia Creeper. Many birds and animals will eat the berries. The berries are poisonous to humans, while the leaves are not.

    Bookmark   May 7, 2014 at 9:18PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rhondals_2006(6B)

Thank you so much for all your information.. :) !!!

    Bookmark   May 8, 2014 at 6:53AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
anenemity

It might not be invasive but it sure is hard to get rid of. I've been pulling it up for 6 years and it shows no signs of slowing. It spreads via rhizome, and unless you get the entire thing out in one go, any remaining root will become a new plant. Any part of the vine that touches the ground will form new roots there. Before you plant it, check out the old building where you admired it. It's possible that there is concrete or some kind of barrier that prevents the rhizomes from spreading.

For what it's worth, this plant also causes some skin irritation for me, like a mild poison ivy reaction. I'm not allergic to poison ivy, though. Go figure.

    Bookmark   July 2, 2014 at 1:21PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
raee_gw

I don't know why it hasn't spread. I had some on one corner of the back fence and it spread clear to the other corner ( a good 50 feet) and shot runners out from there.

    Bookmark   July 16, 2014 at 9:52PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jolynn5899(zone 6)

We had some of this around our house. I pulled it out every year with impunity for 12 years, with my bare hands. No problems. The next year, I pulled it out as usual. And had the worst allergic reaction of my life. I've never even been allergic to poison ivy! After a few rounds of Roundup Poison Ivy killer (which only worked sporadically), I put rock salt on it. Worked like a charm. I haven't had anymore pop up since then (knock on wood).

    Bookmark   September 4, 2014 at 6:35AM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
pumpkin patch
my pumpkin patch started out really good but as it...
DarleneJ
Blue Spruce trees dying
Was there some kind of fungus or something that killed...
lindaw-cincy
are there poisenous snakes in eastern kentucky??
i've been thinking about moving there for a afew years...
donnaz5
Anyone Growing 'Knock-Out' Roses. Recommendations?
So, if you are growing the "Knock-Out" roses,...
jmcbackyarddigger
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™