use fresh downed pine trees as mulch ?

minet(z8 Oregon)February 4, 2009

Hi, I live east of Portland, and a couple of weeks ago we had a big windstorm through here and a lot of trees in the area were blown down or broken.

We had to remove a bishop pine from our front yard because large branches had broken and the tree was leaning into our neighbor's driveway. My husband and friends took down the tree with a chainsaw and the big pieces of trunk one guy took to burn in an outside pit.

The branches are laying in our driveway and we were planning to rent a chipper and then use the wood chips as mulch.

BUT - is it ok to use fresh chips as mulch, or do the chips need to dry out for a few months first? And since they are pine, I guess we need to be careful about where we put the chips because of the acidity, right?

Thanks for advice ... I hated taking down that tree. I hope we can at least get something out of it, rather than taking the branches to the dump.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardengal48

You can use the pine chips without worry :-) I've linked to a couple of recent discussions on wood chip mulches on other forums.

"Fresh wood chip mulch"

"Mulches"

Here is a link that might be useful: Myths about wood chip mulches (.pdf file)

Bookmark   February 5, 2009 at 11:31AM
minet(z8 Oregon)

Thanks for the links - very helpful. Later I'll watch the chipping video from one of those threads, so I'll know what to expet. :-)

Bookmark   February 5, 2009 at 2:58PM
buyorsell888(Zone 8 Portland OR)

Chunks of trunk make nice stands for birdbaths or pots in the garden if they are level or can be leveled.

Bookmark   February 6, 2009 at 5:13PM
More Discussions
2nd annual 'Shovel Prune' plant swap (Portland area)
Just wanted remind people to start thinking about,...
duane456
Garrya elliptica won't flower
I am in zone 8 and have had a Garrya elliptica growing...
julieotoole
What is good lilac to grow in North Seattle area?
My mom died last week. She liked smell of lilac flower. My...
briergardener_gw
Holy aphids Batman!
With the arctic freeze moving on, I went out yesterday...
Bear999
Growing Loquats in the PNW
I am posting this forum as I have not found a thread...
chitti
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™