pecan trees?

annpeschMarch 26, 2013

Hi everyone, We have a 60 acre pasture that is being over run with leafy spurge, killing off the grass, etc. We would like to plant it full of nut and fruit trees, since it is becoming worthless for grazing. We live in southern MN. We have tons of black walnuts growing in our grove, but I was wondering if there are other edible nut trees (for our family and the animals) that would grow in this zone. Has anyone successfully grown pecan trees? Hickory trees? Carpathian walnuts? I have read here and there that it is possible. Does anyone know of a nursery or contact that would have nut trees for northern areas for purchase?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
davidcalgary29(2b)

You're probably marginal for pecans -- which really are best suited to zones 5 and above -- but I don't see why you shouldn't try to experiment with them. I'm certain that local nurseries will be able to order them for you if you ask. I suggest that you try shagbark hickory and the American beech, both much underplanted and certainly hardy in your area. Mockernut is also a lovely tree and certainly well worth growing. If you'd like to experiment, you should try the butternut (closely related to the black walnut) and the American chestnut. Both species have been devastated by disease, but they're wonderful plants and deserve to be considered, even if they may thrive only for a few years. You just might end up with resistant varieties that will delight you for decades!
Grimo Nut nurseries in Ontario specializes in hardy nut trees, but I'm not sure that they'll ship to the US.

Bookmark   March 27, 2013 at 1:11AM
More Discussions
dieffenbachia flowering
Hello there. My dieffenbachia is about five years old...
Winnie12
Tree for Montana
I am interested in what kind of a ornamental tree would...
merrygardener
Elderberries Eaten
Every year I lose most my elderberries to something....
dawny2u2
Need to buy a red leaf dwarf japanese maple asap
I need to know if it's possible and where I can order...
goudanuf4u
delphiniums
Can someone tell me where the best place in Canada...
marricgardens
Sponsored Products
Nova Silo Pecan Modern Floor Lamp
Lamps Plus
Angel Tree Topper
$49.50 | FRONTGATE
Contemporary Indoor/Outdoor Accent Rug: LA Rugs Fun Time Streets Multi Colored
$11.97 | Home Depot
Slim 7.5-foot Pre-lit Artificial Tree
Overstock.com
Riviera 9 Drawer Dresser - EMER728
Hayneedle