ahead of the game

clairdo2(3)March 17, 2008

I took a few cuttings from my ivy plant. will save me a few bucks. Evry year I buy ivies but not this year.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
glen3a(Winnipeg MB 3A)

That's a good idea. In past years, I overwintered plants from outdoors by taking cuttings and growing them in a small pot, even a large drink cup, for winter (coleus, sweet potato vine, impatien) and then making a few cuttings in spring after they put on new growth.

Another method for some plants is to dig up the entire plant, pot it, trim it back if you have too, and keep indoors for winter. This has worked for geraniums and something I have called copper plant.

Actually, regarding my copper plant, it was from 'proven winners' and after I bought it I researched on the 'net and discovered it's actually an evergreen tropical shrub in it's native habitat. So, it seemed a shame to use it as an annual and toss it after one season. I transplanted to a single pot and have it growing in my living room for winter. It will go back outside in spring. I also have a huge banana plant (musa ensete) in the kitchen window that's aching for a transplant and to get back outdoors.

Glen

Bookmark   March 18, 2008 at 1:54AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
moonsanity(Zone 5)

Is that also a nasturtium to the right? I grown as many as I can outside, but haven't grown them inside!

I have an aloe plant that I need to divide-- it's seriously crowded.

Bookmark   March 26, 2008 at 8:26AM
More Discussions
False Sunflower
I am always impressed with the knowledge on this site,...
dawny2u2
help lilacs near garden
Hi, I am planning to do a lilac hedgerow north side...
Meuhey
Black walnut tree
Hi, I am having a blackwalnut tree cut down, and the...
joy4so
overwintering potted trees & seedlings
I have a lot of small volunteer trees from bad spots...
thelonerider1
Tree for Montana
I am interested in what kind of a ornamental tree would...
merrygardener
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™