Big Columbus boxwood and Scotch broom looking for a home

alison(6b/OH)June 15, 2005

Well, they're finally starting construction on the Fort Hayes campus, and my little herb garden is staring at the bulldozers.

One of the teachers here has already "relieved" me of most of the plants. I'm hoping I can get the bulldozer guys to help me dig up the Bradford pear my parents gave me, and I'm waiting as long as possible to dig up the 15' New Dawn rose. (Not looking forward to that excavation -- and I still have to figure out where to put it!)

But there are still two big plants that could be nice specimen plants for someone. The first is a Scotch broom, 3-3 1/2' tall, and about that around. Soime varieites of broom are considered invaisive, but this one has never been a problem. Thrives in full sun and little water, and is covered with beautiful yellow pea-like flowers in early May. Looks like this.

The second is a really big boxwood of an unknown variety. Probably 3 1/2' tall and maybe 4' around. Super-hardy and green all winter. Very like this one.

If you're interested and can come down to dig them up by this weekend -- they're yours! Shoot me an email.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
akheadbanger(z?? OH)

where is fort haynes campus? i cant make it but my mom might b able to. gimme more info

Bookmark   June 16, 2005 at 12:03AM
alison(6b/OH)

Going once....

akheadbanger, did you get my email?

Bookmark   June 17, 2005 at 4:52PM
alison(6b/OH)

Going twice....

Bookmark   June 19, 2005 at 6:53AM
alison(6b/OH)

Third mention....

Bookmark   June 21, 2005 at 12:50PM
alison(6b/OH)

I think they may be fencing off this part of the construction site on Monday, so I posted these on Freecycle.

Bookmark   June 24, 2005 at 12:48PM
storygardener(5/6 central oh)

Alsion...I am so sorry to see that your herb garden is going to be bulldozed!! That stinks. I know how much you love herbs and fragrant plants. This is sad. Will you be able to save any to put in your tiny yard, I hope.

Beverly

Bookmark   June 24, 2005 at 3:53PM
alison(6b/OH)

Thnaks, Bev! It's one of the dangers of guerilla gardening, unfortunately. But it was a nice long run. And while I could have weeded more, I think a lot of people enjyed the garden in the last few years.

All of the herbs have found nice homes. (Some folks I didn't even know stopped by to say they'd enjoyed the garden and asked for specific plants.) I dug up the iris last weekend and the strawberry plants are being picked up Sunday. I've cut the New Dawn rose way back, and will dig it up this weekend. I wish I could think of some way to save the Bradford pear my folks gave me, but they brought it up from Cincinnati four years ago and it's simply too big to dig up.

One of the guys I work with brought in a little red wagon, and we've been going out during the day, whenever we have a few minutes, and salvaging the flagstones and bricks from the garden. We've still got the little space immediately in front of the office, and will be developing that over the summer. We've already got two dwarf peach trees, 3 different types of lilacs, Mimi's Stella D'Oros.....

Bookmark   June 24, 2005 at 4:52PM
More Discussions
Coneflowers turning black
My purple coneflowers are turning black and breaking...
jenrog
Moving to KY
Hello! We're moving to KY (Owensboro) from that Dallas...
Marie79
Honeydew
Anybody out there have some honeydew plants that could...
Kobolt
Fleur de Lis Garden Club Booth
Hello to any Louisvillians out there. Wanted to point...
highlandsgardener
Blue Spruce trees dying
Was there some kind of fungus or something that killed...
lindaw-cincy
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™