where to find quarter ten gravel?

plantknitter(8)March 14, 2013

A few years back it seems I called everywhere within reasonable distance and could not find quarter ten gravel. As I recall most places never even heard of it and didn't know what I wanted.
I was looking for some for a rock garden area I was starting as that was the recommendation from several rock garden society sites.
I finally got something called chip sealer, which was 3/8 plain or something like that as it did not have the minus fines in it. But I think it is limestone not basalt that was mentioned in the Joycreek article..
I see eeldip has mentioned it as top dressing in lawns and it seems that could be a very good idea for high traffic areas.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
George Three LLC

i haven't had too much trouble finding it. i go to the place closest to my house, Oregon Decorative Rock, even though it is not cheap. I want to minimize the drive back with the fully loaded truck.

Here is a link that might be useful: Oregon Decorative Rock

Bookmark   March 14, 2013 at 11:28PM
jean001a(Portland OR 7b)

It might help us help you if you tell us where you live -- city & state.

Bookmark   March 14, 2013 at 11:52PM
larry_gene

I think plantknitter is up north, but quarter-10 can't be too rare as it is also listed at Mt. Scott Fuel in SE PDX. I use it to under-dress Lewisias.

Bookmark   March 14, 2013 at 11:57PM
plantknitter(8)

oh, sorry, yes I'm north of Seattle in Snohomish county.
I saw a link from 2009 where Ann Lovejoy on Bainbridge was also recommending this approach. She mentions it doesn't matter what kind of gravel.
Any thoughts on that?

Here is a link that might be useful: kitsap article

Bookmark   March 15, 2013 at 1:00AM
PRO
George Three LLC

i think 1/4 10 is about ideal. pea gravel might be the closest- but it doesn't level as well. 1/4 minus you will run into trouble with the fines. any bigger sized gravel will probably be less pleasant to walk on.

i had a very lumpy lawn, and repeated application of compost and 1/4 10 along with overseeding has leveled it pretty well. i didn't have a control area so nothing to compare it to.

Bookmark   March 15, 2013 at 1:46AM
More Discussions
evergreens for by gate
I have a couple of Columnar Dwarf Siberian Dogwood...
hallerlake
One month early bolssom - Apricot
PNW (8A) Due to warm winter my 5 year old Tomcot Apricot...
Pachhu
Camelia question.
We have a camelia ten years old - looked great in the...
dwightgibb
Is it time to prune?
With the warm winter we are having, everything seems...
duncandotty
what to do here?
Thinking of planting native shrubs, salal, redtwig...
zephyrgal
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™