My Green Patio

dottyinduncan(z8b coastal BC)March 1, 2009

This is the time of year that everything looks green -- including the exposed aggregate cement patio. Ours is quite rough and to pressure wash it takes forever. Does anyone have a secret to getting rid of this winter mould?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardengal48

There are various enzyme-based cleaners on the market for this purpose. You can usually find them at places like home improvement stores (Lowe's, HD). They are typically concentrates you dilute and spray on, allow to sit for a period of time then hose and brush off. About as much time and effort as involved as power washing, all in all :-)

Using a bleach solution works well also but poses some issues with the environment - at least the immediate environment. The enzymes are totally safe.

As you might tell, I have the same issues. With our moist winters, concrete surfaces that are not in a full open exposure tend to grow some serious crops of algae over winter. And older pavers or exposed aggregate surfaces seem to do a better job of hosting them than smooth finishes. Sealing the surface might be the only long term solution.

Bookmark   March 1, 2009 at 9:53AM
dottyinduncan(z8b coastal BC)

Thanks for this. It's an annual thing for us here and it just looks so nasty. One year, I had a big bottle of detol and used it on a north facing brick wall and it stayed ok for a few years. I was hoping there was a magic bullet but, sigh, I don't think there is. Oh well, misery loves company and I bet we have lots of company in this PNW!

Bookmark   March 1, 2009 at 8:55PM
buyorsell888(Zone 8 Portland OR)

My cedar deck is slimy and green. Especially between the door to the bedroom and the hot tub. ICK.

Bookmark   March 4, 2009 at 12:15PM
More Discussions
Growing Loquats in the PNW
I am posting this forum as I have not found a thread...
chitti
Is it time to prune?
With the warm winter we are having, everything seems...
duncandotty
What is good lilac to grow in North Seattle area?
My mom died last week. She liked smell of lilac flower. My...
briergardener_gw
Raised Beds/seed starts
We have 2 raised beds we put in last year in our front...
FireMidget
what to do here?
Thinking of planting native shrubs, salal, redtwig...
zephyrgal
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™